PDA

View Full Version : Gloat and a new project

Brian Effinger
12-27-2009, 5:26 PM
First the gloat. My wife bought me an unhandled Ci1 Easy Rougher from Craft Supplies (and by wife, I mean I ordered it a few weeks ago and had her give me her credit card to pay for it). I haven't tried it out yet, but hope to in the next day or so.

I did make the handle for it today - which is the new project that I have never tried before. I have never had the need before. It is curly maple and jatoba with a copper ferrule, and just over 14" long. I finished it with BLO.

I want to thank Bob Hamilton for the video on his handles - it really helped me out. Also, John Keeton for posting his walnut and maple handle the other day - it was the inspiration to try a laminated handle. Thanks guys.

John Keeton
12-27-2009, 5:40 PM
Brian, I watched several turners at Woodcraft using the Ci1 - both rougher and finisher. They were really hogging off the wood - I think you will love it.

Great job on the handle, too. I really like the laminations, and it is much easier putting together scrap than finding thick enough stock to turn a handle. Looks like you put a good end gripping area on the handle, and that is probably good on that roughing tool. Unless, of course, you have a good "turning muscle" as Grumbine calls it!:D

Steve Schlumpf
12-27-2009, 6:15 PM
Nice looking handle Brian! Looking forward to seeing what you think of the tool once you get a chance to use it!

Bernie Weishapl
12-27-2009, 6:38 PM
Really nice handle Brian. I saw one in action but just never got one.