PDA

View Full Version : creating a custom joint using a router. How would you do this?

Nick Sorenson
12-27-2009, 5:24 PM
In a guitar the neck needs to fit exactly in the body's neck pocket. This means that the body's neck pocket needs to be a negative (as in a film negative) of the heel of the neck. I'm doing this now using templates but what would I do if I didn't have a template or an existing piece to make the template from. In other words how did Fender originally do this? Here's what I'm talking about:

http://www.rocketfireguitars.com/images/gallery/Woodshop%20Tour/Front.JPG

Myk Rian
12-27-2009, 9:01 PM
I believe you are doing it the easiest way, aside from having a CNC router.

Peter Quinn
12-27-2009, 9:28 PM
I don't have a ready answer, but I have been playing fenders for years, both strats and tele's, and I'd argue that that neck joint isn't exactly milled like parts for the space shuttle. There is a fair bit of play in there until the bolts are tightened.

Can you make your own templates using a band saw or scroll saw and sander? I'd bet with a little patience you can make two matching templates at least as well as the guys at Fender!

Nick Sorenson
12-27-2009, 9:47 PM
I believe you are doing it the easiest way, aside from having a CNC router.

I don't have a ready answer, but I have been playing fenders for years, both strats and tele's, and I'd argue that that neck joint isn't exactly milled like parts for the space shuttle. There is a fair bit of play in there until the bolts are tightened.

Can you make your own templates using a band saw or scroll saw and sander? I'd bet with a little patience you can make two matching templates at least as well as the guys at Fender!

Well, thanks guys for the thoughts. As far as my problem at hand, I don't have a problem right now. I already have have the templates (made them from an existing body). That's what that body that I have pictured came from. I cut that using my templates.

What I'm asking is what would I have done if I were completely designing my own body and neck (not duplicating an existing design) and I wanted to make the joint the film negative of one another. I'm not so much talking the joint accuracy and tight fit. That's of course going to also be of importance. But the thing I'm wanting to know is the practicality of how the joint was made for the original template back in the 50's. Of course when the originals were made there were no CNC's to make a template on. No cad drafting, just real craftsmanship. That's what I'm after. I could have templates made on a CNC but I'd just like to know.
thanks!
Nick

I guess this applies to any odd shaped joint. There's got to be a nice practical way to use a router to make joints that will be the converse of one another.

Lee Schierer
12-28-2009, 9:03 AM
It is probably best done by trial and error fit up. Approaching the final fit carefully by removing small amounts of material at a time and using dye or chalk to determine high spots.

Nick Sorenson
12-28-2009, 2:51 PM
I had a brain flash really late last night. I think it might be possible to build an 'edge' around the heel of a real guitar neck using a kerfed 3/4x3/4 strip of ply wood. The kerf would allow a wrap around of the neck and create the heel radius required. for the straight parts no kerfing required just use it straight. Hold it tight to the neck and brad nail it to the template and route away.

Doug Shepard
12-28-2009, 3:45 PM
Look at the router bit inlay kits for one idea. They use a bearing for cutting one part and remove it for making the mating part.

Rick Lizek
12-28-2009, 8:14 PM
In a guitar the neck needs to fit exactly in the body's neck pocket. This means that the body's neck pocket needs to be a negative (as in a film negative) of the heel of the neck. I'm doing this now using templates but what would I do if I didn't have a template or an existing piece to make the template from. In other words how did Fender originally do this? Here's what I'm talking about:

http://www.rocketfireguitars.com/images/gallery/Woodshop%20Tour/Front.JPG

http://www.grizzly.com/products/mach-specs.aspx?key=560020
Pin router and there is no magic formula to making the templates. Just careful planning and measuring.

Nick Sorenson
12-28-2009, 11:00 PM
http://www.grizzly.com/products/mach-specs.aspx?key=560020
Pin router and there is no magic formula to making the templates. Just careful planning and measuring.

The body pictured was made in my shop using our CR Onsrud inverted router. Works great and short of a CNC I think it's the best option and the design for a pin router (sucks the chips downward into dust collection, the bit is un-accessible to the operator's hands during routing, and templates are super easy to make from an existing piece).

But just because I have a pin router (the tool for the job) doesn't mean I know the best ways to use it. That's why I was looking for ideas. I'm learning little tricks every day on how to better use it.

thanks!