PDA

View Full Version : Walker Turner RAS?

Steven Satur
12-27-2009, 4:36 PM
I came across a WT Radial Arm Saw 1100 series that someones grandfather had in his basement for years. I think he was the org. owner. The saw has the org. arbor wrench and volt meter on switch. I checked out for any play in the top carriage, it seemed tight. It is covered in old dried up oil (for protection I guess). My question is , does anyone have any idea as to what else to check out? Everything seems to work but not freely because of dried up grease and oil. Thanks for your help. Steve.

Gary Herrmann
12-27-2009, 4:46 PM
Steve, try posting your question on OWWM. You can join the .org site. The .com site doesn't currently support new posts. I'm sure you'll find someone there who knows about RAS in general and WT models in specific. OWWM = Old Woodworking Machinery.

CPeter James
12-27-2009, 6:11 PM
That saw uses the same carriage assemble as the W/T Radial Drill. I have one of the radial drills. The carriage assemble rides in 8 ball bearings. If I remember correctly they are #6202. and are easily had. I bought ten for less than $15 on EBAY. As they only roll back and forth, the speed rating is unimportant. It is quite easy to change them, BUT DO NOT MOVE THE SETTINGS ON THE ECCENTRICS!!! This controls the relationship between the arm and the table and should be as set at the factory.

http://www.owwm.com/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=808&tab=4

Is this three phase? If so, you can use a VFD to convert to single phase. A static converter will loose about a third of the power.

Do check out the OWWM site. http://www.owwm.org/viewforum.php?f=1

The BOYD is the classified section.

CPeter

Steven Satur
12-27-2009, 6:37 PM
I figured on new bearings and wire. It is wire for 120, which is a odd, but can go 220. I will maybe keep it 120, means I am running out of breakers. I have a RFC for my Crescent jointer that I just finished.

Bob Aquino
12-27-2009, 7:24 PM
Only thing I know about them is that besides being outrageously heavy (good thing in my book) is that they need some clearance in the back since the whole arm slides back and forth rather than the saw sliding on a fixed arm. There are a few of them over on the mothership at owwm.com if you havent yet seen an example.

Steven Satur
12-27-2009, 7:44 PM
Yes, it is very heavy.The weight will give better control. I do have the room for it in the shop taking into consideration of the carriage travel. I think it would fit much better then the 1980s Craftsman that I have now.