PDA

View Full Version : Delta / Porter Cable Identity Crisis

Adam Strong
12-27-2009, 3:48 PM
Just saw a "NEW" Porter Cable 14" Bandsaw @ Lowes.... Lately all the lower end, hobbyist grade Delta's seem to be disappearing and "NEW" identical PC branded replacements are taking over. Not so sure of the marketing strategy Delta/PC are going with these days.:confused:

Josh Reet
12-27-2009, 6:21 PM
Eh, who cares what brand name the stuff has on it. It's the same stuff. If anyone should be annoyed, it's the PC fans, as a brand that formerly meant professional grade stuff now means homeowner grade stuff. Delta is still delta, it just has fewer BORG type products.

Besides, anyone who buys straight on brand-name in this day and age is stupid. Mercedes makes great luxury cars and they make cheap ass taxis. One I'd be happy to have, the other you couldn't pay me to drive.

Adam Strong
12-27-2009, 6:33 PM
If anyone should be annoyed, it's the PC fans, as a brand that formerly meant professional grade stuff now means homeowner grade stuff.

That's my point. It really makes no sense to change branding on existing products.

Phil Thien
12-27-2009, 7:37 PM
That's my point. It really makes no sense to change branding on existing products.

Well then what do you need a marketing department for? ;)

Mort Stevens
12-27-2009, 7:42 PM
If anyone should be annoyed, it's the PC fans, as a brand that formerly meant professional grade stuff now means homeowner grade stuff.

YES! Whoever that now owns Delta/Porter-Cable/Black-and-Decker/DeWalt has taken a brand name that took years to gain a reputation and ruined it overnight - why did they do it to Porter-Cable when they already had a low-end brand name in Black-and-Decker?

Michael Schwartz
12-27-2009, 7:55 PM
YES! Whoever that now owns Delta/Porter-Cable/Black-and-Decker/DeWalt has taken a brand name that took years to gain a reputation and ruined it overnight - why did they do it to Porter-Cable when they already had a low-end brand name in Black-and-Decker?

I don't know the real intent but the name Black and Decker has become so heavily associated with low end tools that It would be smarter to use a better trademark/brand name that you own. While sad it makes a great deal of sense to use the name Porter Cable for low end tools.

I own and use a number of Porter Cable tools, and Porter Cable does continue to make a number of quality products. I certainly hope they will continue with that. Of course you just have to be smart and look out for the cheap tools that get branded as PC. Bottom line is you get what you pay for and if it cheap to buy, it is probably cheap quality.

Dave Lehnert
12-27-2009, 8:34 PM
Porter Cable was in direct competition with DeWalt. I am sure DeWalt took over PC to eliminate that competition. No reason to produce two lines of same quality tool. So keep DeWalt as your high end stuff, Porter Cable as your middle of the road line and B&D as your Wal-Mart kind of stuff.
Identity crisis? I don't think so. We just have to erase everything we know about the brands and reevaluate them.

As other has said, you need to shop tools based on it's own merits and not brand alone. My shop has Porter Cable, DeWalt, JET, Delta, Ryobi, Grizzly, ShopSmith, Harbor Freight, Craftsman, Stanley, Lee Valley, On and on.

Scott Vigder
12-27-2009, 8:56 PM
As other has said, you need to shop tools based on it's own merits and not brand alone. My shop has Porter Cable, DeWalt, JET, Delta, Ryobi, Grizzly, ShopSmith, Harbor Freight, Craftsman, Stanley, Lee Valley, On and on.

+1

The tools in my shop that plug in are a Delta X5 Table Saw; Craftsman 14" Band Saw, DeWalt 735 Planer; Grizzly G0490 Jointer; Delta 15-760 Dust Collector; Porter Cable multi base router; Hitachi M12V fixed router; Freud multi base router; Bosch Colt router; DeWalt jigsaw; Dewalt Plate joiner; Grex pin nailer; Milwaukee and Porter Cable circular saws; Milwaukee and DeWalt drills; and Makita, Hitachi and Dewalt sanders. Oh, and a Performax 16-32 drum sander.

All were bought because, at the time of purchase, I thought each one represented the best value for the money versus the competition. When it came time to purchase a specific tool, I'd head over to Hartville Tool, a Borg or Sears to compare all the top brands. The name on the tool meant a whole lot less to me than the feel, balance, ergonomics, specs and price.

Dick Strauss
12-27-2009, 10:20 PM
They are re-branding Delta tools to PC tools and are increasing prices by 15-20% for the same items from what I've seen.

I wish them luck with that strategy!

Mort Stevens
12-27-2009, 10:27 PM
you need to shop tools based on it's own merits and not brand alone.

That's the thing I find frustrating... it used to be that you could walk into a store and buy a Porter-Cable router, sander or saw and knew you were getting 'Made in the USA' top quality without the need to spend the time comparing to other brands.

dan sherman
12-27-2009, 10:32 PM
Besides, anyone who buys straight on brand-name in this day and age is stupid.

I have been wantng to buy one of these t-shirts for years.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=136411&stc=1&d=1261971103

Chip Lindley
12-27-2009, 11:42 PM
The DELTA name has had it's Ups and Downs for more years than many woodworkers are old. Brand names come and go with acquisitions or mergers. Delta became Rockwell for 36 years. Then back to Delta in 1981. The brand has suffered increasingly over time. Appears now Delta is trying to rebuild their Rep with the new Unisaw, and has divorced the Delta *name* from their low-end, consumer tool line.

So, now Porter Cable will be suspect for peddling Chinese consumer power tools! P-C has already suffered; router bearings so hot that bits can't be changed on newer models? hmm....

Once upon a time, in 1960, Porter-Cable became Rockwell. P-Cs excellent line of power hand tools was soon degraded! The the P-C name (and integrity) was returned to the line in 1981 by Pentair. And, now after almost 30 years, the Rockwell name rears it's head again peddling more Chinese stuff! Jaw Horses and Sonicrafters!

There's no telling what current production, OR the future will bring. Thank God for USED! Those of us who know some tool history can look for tried-and-true OLD STUFF! Stuff we know WORKS, regardless of the label.

Jeff Duncan
12-28-2009, 2:36 PM
[QUOTE=Dave Lehnert;1294275]Porter Cable was in direct competition with DeWalt. I am sure DeWalt took over PC to eliminate that competition. No reason to produce two lines of same quality tool. So keep DeWalt as your high end stuff, Porter Cable as your middle of the road line and B&D as your Wal-Mart kind of stuff.

:confused:
Porter Cable was never in direct competition in terms of quality with DeWalt IMHO. Porter Cable had always been a far superior tool and DeWalt has always been (and still is) middle of the road.
Look in any pro cabinet shop or furniture manufacturing plant and you'll see oodles of Porter Cable routers, biscuit jointers, drills etc. Dewalt....yeah, not so much.
People loved the pretty yellow color when it came out and started buying DeWalt tools in droves. They also had some very good marketing strategies when they started trying to take over the contractor segment of the market. But in terms of quality I've never seen them put out a tool that was equal in quality to Porter Cable, at least prior to the merge or buy-out or whatever they call it. Now PC has started slipping and it is very unfortunate for those of us who appreciate well made tools. Today the majority of buyers are more interested in saving a few bucks upfront on a tool purchase, than buying a tool that will last a lifetime. I have several of my Grandfathers PC tools made in the 60's that are still working. Let's see how many DeWalts are still around in 50 years;)
I guess we still have Milwaukee, at least until someone buys them out as well and wants to start selling them at WalMart:(
good grief,
JeffD

Terry Barr
12-28-2009, 4:34 PM
For those of you who are wondering about the owner of the Delta/Porter Cable; Dewalt tools are now owned by Stanley Tools as of Nov. 2, 2009. They are the ones that released the new Band Saw, Jointer, and planer with the Porter Cable name on them.

Rick Fisher
12-28-2009, 5:18 PM
Stanley doesnt take over until spring of 2010..
Black and Decker/ DeWalt/ Delta/ PC is a screwed up mess.. The new CEO will be Lundgren..

This is a very good deal for Black and Decker.. Stanley is a strongly run company, with a heavy focus on ethics and fairness..

I have not been a fan of Delta or DeWalt for some time.. I do business with them and have my own reasons.. I also do business with Stanley.. a totally different type of company.. I predict a big shake-up on the Black and Decker side.. A lot of people on the way out the door..

This doesnt mean that Porter Cable wont become the next Skil.. Nobody knows right now what will happen to Porter Cable.. It will be up to a different man next year..

I can tell you that Stanely will clean up B&D..