PDA

View Full Version : Cutlery handle for a flat tang

Philip Florio
12-27-2009, 12:20 PM
I'm looking for suggestions on attaching a spatula to a new handle. The spatula has a flat tang that is 7/16" x 1/8".

The spatula is over 50 years old. My mother would like me to replace the broken handle.

I have made new cutlery handles from suppliers like Craft Supply. Their tangs are only require 1/4" holes and have a decorative cap attached to cover up the hole.

Thanks,
Phil

Jamie Buxton
12-27-2009, 1:25 PM
It looks to me that the plastic handle has a rivet through it to secure it to the metal. I'd do the same with a new one. I'd make the new handle in two pieces, so I could mill the recess to enclose the metal. The two pieces would get glued together with a waterproof glue, and the new rivet would also run through the two pieces to reinforce the glue.

Kieran Kammerer
12-27-2009, 2:10 PM
Derek Cohen just made some beautiful new handles for knives with tangs. I am sure he will chime in on how he did it. Check out his beautiful handles and knife holder. The post is in Neanderthal group and is listed under "Just in time for Christmas". Kieran Kieran

Philip Florio
12-28-2009, 9:43 AM
It doesn't have a rivet.

Greg Portland
12-28-2009, 5:58 PM
Drill a hole in the handle and make it have a rivet :)

Philip Florio
12-28-2009, 6:33 PM
I'm just trying to figure out a simple way to accommodate the large flat tang.

I'm wondering if I can just drill a hole and use a ferrule.

Phil

Kieran Kammerer
12-28-2009, 7:20 PM
Drill a hole in the handle and make it have a rivet :)

I was beginning to think I missed something.

Kieran

Philip Florio
12-29-2009, 8:44 AM
It doesn't have a rivet and I don't want to add one. I would like to have a round handle.

I would like to secure it the same way as my new cutlery by simply using epoxy.

Jamie Buxton
12-29-2009, 11:09 AM
It doesn't have a rivet and I don't want to add one. I would like to have a round handle.

I would like to secure it the same way as my new cutlery by simply using epoxy.

Okay, so now we have a clear statement of what you want to do. Now what's the question?

Jamie Buxton
12-29-2009, 11:26 AM
You could make the handle in two pieces, as I suggested before. That would allow you to mill a recess which fits tightly to the flat tang. Glue would hold it together and to the tang.

Or you could bore a round hole in a single-piece handle, fill it almost up with epoxy, and push the tang into it. The epoxy can fill the round hole, and can bond to the metal tang.

Philip Florio
12-29-2009, 1:23 PM
I guess I'm just making this more difficult than need be.

Turning it into more oblong than round from the kerf isn't an issue but I guess I'll need some jig to make a straight cut with the round handle.