PDA

View Full Version : epoxy for pen turning

Paul Steiner
12-27-2009, 10:25 AM
What epoxy do you use for turning pens? I am using the pen state 15 minute epoxy that came with my kits and about 1 in every 3 pens breaks off the brass tube. I do make sure to really coat the tubes when I insert them into the blank.

Jim McFarland
12-27-2009, 10:33 AM
I use 5 minute epoxy from here:
http://woodenwonderstx.com/WWBlue/NewGlueWS.html

...and no problems with blank releasing from the tube. I have tried West System epoxy (just because I had it on hand) and have had tube failures when generating too much heat with heavy handed sanding or polishing.

Bernie Weishapl
12-27-2009, 10:36 AM
Paul believe it or not I just use plain old walmart 5 or 30 minute epoxy. Which one I use depends on how many I am making and if I want a longer drying time. Most times I let them dry overnight anyway. Make sure it is mixed well. I also spread a little on the inside of the blank as well as coat the tube, twisting as I insert. I haven't had a pen come apart because of the epoxy since I started doing pens 4 yrs ago and have 2 or 3 hundred out there. When I started the walmart epoxy is all I had so used it. It worked great and IMHO figured why pay for the expensive stuff if this stuff works.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-27-2009, 10:53 AM
Paul,

I use Ace Hardware's 5 minute epoxy only because I hate going to Walmart!

First...I rough up the outside of a tube using 120 grit sandpaper.

Then I wipe it off with denatured alcohol to remove the grit I created and the oils used during the tube's manufacturing process.

Then I plug one end of the tube using some modeling clay.

I mix my epoxy and using a popsickle stick (my wife bought a bag of them at Walmart) I apply the epoxy in a spiral along the length of the tube. It's not necessary to cover every square inch as the epoxy will be spread as you insert it into the blank. Just make sure your spiral goes around the circumference of the tube a couple of times. I also apply a little dab at the end of the blank into which I'm going to insert the brass tube.

I use an old nail set as an insertion tool and insert the tube plugged end first into the blank. I rotate it as I insert it.

I've heard of some folks using a slice of potato to plug barrel tubes too. The plug reduces the chances of epoxy getting into the barrel and having to clean it out.

I let them set up over night.

I don't remember the last time I had one let go.

Gary Herrmann
12-27-2009, 11:11 AM
I prefer to use gorilla glue (not an epoxy I know) and sometimes use CA if I have to make one and can't wait for the glue to dry overnight. Haven't had any problems at all with adhesion to the tubes. I assume you're sanding the tubes first? I usually use 150 or 180 grit.

Sid Matheny
12-27-2009, 11:24 AM
I use CA all the time but no matter what you use make sure you rough up the tubes with sandpaper first. I think that is most important.

Sid

Jim Kountz
12-27-2009, 12:41 PM
I use the gel CA glue from Loctite. As stated already be sure to scratch the tubes with some sandpaper first to get a good bite. The CA gel glue can be found most anywhere, Walmart, Lowes etc.

David E Keller
12-27-2009, 1:00 PM
I generally use the thick CA from Arizona Silhouette because his prices are better than any other place I've found. I use dental base plate wax to seal the ends and sand with whatever old sandpaper bits I can put my hands on.

I've had some trouble with gorilla glue pushing the tubes out when it expands while curing.

Bernie Weishapl
12-27-2009, 2:24 PM
One other thing is Paul didn't say what the blank was (wood, acrylic, etc.). I will use CA if the blank is wood. I won't use CA on acrylic blanks. I have had almost everyone of the acrylics when I first started 4 yrs ago that I used CA on had some problem from right away to maybe a month later. So thus the epoxy and no more problems.

Dan Forman
12-27-2009, 4:15 PM
I use 5 minute epoxy, sand the tube first, apply with a bamboo BBQ skewer to both tube and blank, twist as inserting the blank. Plug one end of tube with Playdough to keep the glue out, then knock it out as soon as tube is inserted, and clean both ends with a q-tip dipped in acetone. I turned a few wood insertion tools, basically tapered dowels. I twist the tubes on the way in to ensure good coverage of the glue. I have had very few glue failures this way.

Dan

curtis rosche
12-27-2009, 4:19 PM
heat really affects the cheap epoxies, i was using a 5 minutes epoxy to hold a bowl on a faceplate, i pulled out the torch to singe the bowl a little and the heat made the epoxy gummy and made the bowl come off. sanding creates just as much heat if your speed is to high or you are pushing to hard.

John Terefenko
12-27-2009, 4:21 PM
I use the system3 epoxy and never had failure. I think the key factor is patience. Let the glue dry. Just because it says 5 minutes there are temp factors.