PDA

View Full Version : Home vaccum cleaners

Bruce Page
10-11-2004, 8:44 PM
Anyone have advice on a good home vacuum cleaner? The noisy Hoover that my wife brought home a few years ago has finally died (thank God!)

Do any of you have the Dyson? From what I have read, the Dyson stuff seems well made and gets favorable reviews.

The four areas that are important to me are; reliable, strong suction, bag free, and reasonably quiet. Does such a creature exist?

Thanks for your valued opinions.

Kevin Gerstenecker
10-11-2004, 8:58 PM
Bruce, we have a Kirby. I recently installed a Central System in my folks house, and I wish we would have spent the money for a central system a few years ago when we bought the Kirby. The Kirby does an excellent job, and is built like a tank, but that central unit my folks have is awesome. Actually, the central system is not that much more expensive than a high end upright or cannister vac, and they are a good selling point in homes in our neck of the woods. Other than that, we have a few Oreck Vacs at the College where I work, and the housekeepers said they are great..............and they haven't been able to tear them up yet, so that says something for them! ;)

Joe Mioux
10-11-2004, 9:18 PM
We had a Rainbow vac, I liked it, LOML did not. She sold it and bought an Electrolux.

I liked the rainbow because all the dust got sucked into water and thus no dust. It was a pain to clean.

The electrolux really does a very good job, except she doesn't use it (much) anymore since we bought our new house last year and it has central vac. She really likes the central vac. Good suction and all you have to move around is the powerhead and hose.

If she would rate these three, number one is the central vac, two Electrolux, a very distant third Rainbow.

If it were me, I would recommend you build a "mini-cyclone":)

Joe

Ian Barley
10-12-2004, 4:49 AM
We have a dyson.

Reasonably quiet, constant suction, no bag. I wouldn't go back to a non-cyclone vac.

Hope that helps.

John Seutter
10-12-2004, 6:31 AM
We recently bought a Dyson vac. My wife seems to like it alot. Her first comment was that she could see lines in the carpet after she was done. We have short nap carpet in the house and the previous vac did not leave the lines.

Don Farr
10-12-2004, 8:10 AM
I'm with Kevin on this one Bruce. Check into a central vac system. Especially if you can install it yourself. We put one in a few years back and absolutely love it. No bags, no noise and everything goes outside, so no dust.

Jim Becker
10-12-2004, 9:12 AM
Festool??? hee hee

Dr. SWMBO's sister in Spain swears by the Dyson...we may get one ourselves when the present Hoover dies. Our house is hard on vacuums with the brick floor in the kitchen and uneven wide pine elsewhere.

Bruce Page
10-12-2004, 5:25 PM
Thanks for the replies.
I’m not up to the hassles of having a central vac system retro fitted into the house right now.
Kirby? They still make those? My oldest sister received one of those as a wedding gift 35 years ago! As I remember, the Kirby uses bags and LOML said no bags, no way. The Electrolux and the new Hover get mixed reviews – people either love them or hate them.
I’m in the homework phase right now & we have an old Electrolux canister that will get us by for awhile.

Thanks again for the info.

Chris Padilla
10-12-2004, 6:03 PM
I forget what I have now but The Dyson is probably the next one on the list. My mom has a Kirby but Dad installed the central vacuum and the Kirby is aging nicely in the closet now....

Perry Schmidt
10-14-2004, 12:27 AM
We have a Kirby and really like it...does an excellent job. Our church needed a new vacuum and did lots of looking. Was recommended to and ended up bying a Riccar 8925. An excellent vac. Very durable, easy and cheap to repair. And after a year of use at the church, many people like it, and it's still going strong.

So why recommend a Riccar over a Kirby?? It's about 1/2 the price! :)

Perry

Jamie Buxton
10-14-2004, 11:26 AM
Meile is very good -- quiet and powerful.