PDA

View Full Version : American Chestnut - Thanks John Keeton!

Ed Sallee
12-27-2009, 8:16 AM
Back at the end of August, I was fortunate enough to visit fellow creeker, John Keeton..... John went back to his converted tobacco barn and pulled out these two gems (and some other things).... Wormy, American Chestnut - a solid 2" thick by about 58" x about 6"....

Some of you may not know that this wood has been extinct since the early 1940's - due to blight, which wiped out the species..... But, before that happened, Chestnut was the go to wood to build just about everything.... That's why barn wood can hold some value.... because chances are, an old barn was made out of Chestnut....

Needless to say, the wood JK gave me is at least 60, if not 70 years old already.... It is a tad fragile, but not too bad... but, there were several knot holes, where the knots had shrunk up and fell out... and the surrounding wood was not very sound.... So, I taped the bottom of the nail & knot holes and filled 'em up with epoxy.... ought to strengthen up the wood, and help keep the integrity of what it once was.... An old piece of barnwood...

So, thanks again Mr. Keeton..... we'll see what comes out of this... although, I have a pretty good idea already....

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn88/evsallee/WMWH10/DSC09973.jpg

lowell holmes
12-27-2009, 8:33 AM
John,
May we all come to visit?:)

John Keeton
12-27-2009, 9:12 AM
Ed, with your skills, I look forward to a beautiful wormy chestnut humidor being posted soon!!:D;) And, you are right about working with it - not the most pleasant of woods to machine, but it certainly has character, and you will have no difficulty in displaying that!

John Keeton
12-27-2009, 9:13 AM
John,
May we all come to visit?:)Anytime, Lowell!! Heck of a day trip for you, though!:D

lowell holmes
12-27-2009, 9:36 AM
My plans are to build a rocking chair this winter and deliver it to my Son's family in Connecticut in the Spring. You can't ever tell! :)

lowell holmes
12-27-2009, 9:39 AM
Ed, what's the story on the unfinished box in your photo?

gary Zimmel
12-27-2009, 10:17 AM
Looking forward to seeing the finished humidor Ed..

John Thompson
12-27-2009, 10:21 AM
Have fun with that stuff Ed. Same old boring QSWO acclimating at my joint down the road for after New Years.

Regards...

Ed Sallee
12-27-2009, 5:10 PM
Ed, what's the story on the unfinished box in your photo?

Hi Lowell, a couple of humidors that I'm working on... just about finished with them - I'll post pictures when they're done..... :rolleyes: