PDA

View Full Version : Want to make a turning tool

Moshe Eshel
12-27-2009, 7:49 AM
hi All,

I want to make a turning tool, actually several of them - all based on replaceable cutters.
My only problem is what to use for the metal shaft which holds the cutter, what type of steel is best? what hardening level should it be?

Thanks
Moshe

John Keeton
12-27-2009, 8:47 AM
Moshe, this is a tool that I made from ideas shared by fellow creeker Paul Atkins. It is a 3/4" piece of square tubing. The cutters are ground from some planner blades that will fit with just a little of the edge ground off. I haven't made anymore shapes, but plan to. Hope it gives you some ideas.

Mike Minto
12-27-2009, 8:54 AM
to paraphrase george carlin, 'if you want to play a sport, go ahead'.

Moshe Eshel
12-27-2009, 9:03 AM
Moshe, this is a tool that I made from ideas shared by fellow creeker Paul Atkins. It is a 3/4" piece of square tubing. The cutters are ground from some planner blades that will fit with just a little of the edge ground off. I haven't made anymore shapes, but plan to. Hope it gives you some ideas.

Don't you get a LOT of vibration as you get away from the tool rest? I tried working with square tubing and it didn't feel so good...

Bob Haverstock
12-27-2009, 9:09 AM
Moshe,

I make most of my turning tools. The shanks or the parts that hols the cutting tools are mild steel. I would rather that the shank bends that have it shatter and hurt me. I have never had one bend, I use larger cross sections for longer shanks. Sometimes I silver solder them to the shank. Clamping with screws is not the only method of attachment.

The photo quality is poor, but you get the idea. Good Luck!

Bob

Rob Cunningham
12-27-2009, 9:16 AM
Moshe, mild steel or cold rolled steel should be fine for holding replaceable cutters. You could also use drill rod (O-1 or A-2 ) but I don't think that it would need to be hardened.

John Keeton
12-27-2009, 9:18 AM
Don't you get a LOT of vibration as you get away from the tool rest? I tried working with square tubing and it didn't feel so good...You will if you extend it, but I try to keep the extension on the tool end short, and the rest close - and take light cuts. The one that is in the tool in the pic is a piece I used for a specific cut done from the side, and it was used very lightly. Solid stock would be better, I am sure, but this was quick, easy and obtainable.