PDA

View Full Version : Best 12" blade for a SCMS?

Will Brauneis
12-27-2009, 3:42 AM
So this Christmas Santa brought me a shiny red milwaukee 12" SCMS and I would like to get a good blade for it. The one that comes on it cuts fine but it leaves a slightly rough surface and i would like something that leaves a very smooth cut. Ive done some searching and have found very little info on the subject like reviews and comparisons. I was thinking maybe a freud 80 or 96tooth diablo or perhaps the Rigid 100tooth blade which is made by freud apparently. What blades do you guys use and have the best results with?

Glen Butler
12-27-2009, 4:09 AM
I use the freud diablo 80 tooth for smooth cuts.

Damon Marxer
12-27-2009, 6:51 AM
I have a 12" CMS and recently bought a new blade for it. I did not want to spend a lot of money and did a fair amount of research. Based on some some good reviews I decided to try the Hitachi 726101 90 tooth crosscut blade. Currently it is listed for $44 at Amazon with free shipping and I am very happy with the blade. Glad I did not spend more money as it leaves a very nice clean cut. Here is a link to it listed on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006HKB42/ref=oss_T15_product

Randy Carnley
12-27-2009, 7:35 AM
You might want to look at the Forrest Chopmaster.

scott spencer
12-27-2009, 8:20 AM
Will - The Diablo and Ridgid Titanium series are both good values in blades, but I would suggest going with a fuller kerf blade for a 12". You'll also want to stay with a low to negative hook blade for slider.

For fine cuts, it's hard to beat Infinity, Forrest Duraline or Chopmaster, Ridge Carbide, or Freud LU80/LU85....all can be a little pricey, but the Infinity 012-190 (http://www.infinitytools.com/Miter-Saw-Blades/products/1201/) is on sale for $90.

Mike Reinholtz
12-27-2009, 9:03 AM
Both the Ridgid 100T and the 96T Diablo are very nice blades. My 96T was being sharpened and I really needed a new blade, so I picked up the 100T and am equally happy with both blades. I'm sure there are nicer blades (Forrest?) but so far I haven't found the need to look for one, both make extremely clean cuts.

As Scott mentioned, there is a tiny bit of deflection most likely due to them being thin kerf blades. My remedy was blade stiffeners. I didn't notice it until I was making a compound cut on a 10" wide board, and even then it was less than a 1/16" gap at the end. The stiffener immediately fixed this.

James Carmichael
12-27-2009, 9:32 AM
The Chopmaster is supposed to be the Gold Standard, but I bought the above-referenced Hitachi when it was on sale for around $25. Very nice, clean-cutting blade for the money.

Erik Christensen
12-27-2009, 9:42 AM
I like Ridge Carbide - they make a cross cut blade with a negative hook angle just for RAS/SCMS use.

Pricey but cuts great

Gerry Grzadzinski
12-27-2009, 10:14 AM
I've got an older 96T Freud as well as a Forrest. I prefer the Freud. Both were around $100.

Will Brauneis
12-28-2009, 2:34 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. I have a few Home Depo giftcards so i think ill give the Ridgid a try then.