PDA

View Full Version : Just a few presents made this year

Mike Svoma
12-26-2009, 11:17 PM
I made these gifts this year for our gift exchanges. The first is a lamp that I made for my sister. It is about 14 inches tall, black walnut, ambrosia maple, and cherry. I like to call it "Calico", as the colors remind me of those of my sister's calico cat. Pictures are from our Christmas get-together at her house last weekend.

I also made a few icicle ornaments for the gift exchange at the inlaws house. They are about 5 inches tall. Boxelder bodies with purpleheart finials and tops. Boy is that purpleheart some hard stuff. Sharp tools definitely required.

I almost forgot....I got a comission from the lamp. I showed a picture of it to a friend at work and she told another person about it. I then got a call from the other co-worker. She said that she wanted one of the Calico lamps made for her father's birthday. Word-of-mouth is a good thing.

C&C welcome.

Steve Schlumpf
12-27-2009, 12:16 AM
Mike - cool looking lamp! Congrats on getting a commission for another! I agree about word-of-mouth being the best form of advertising! Hope it leads to many more!

Curt Fuller
12-27-2009, 12:25 AM
The smile on the young lady's face that's holding the lamp says it all!

Jeff Nicol
12-27-2009, 5:08 AM
Mike, You are getting more creative with the lamps, I like this one, it has a picasso vibe to it! Looks like everyone is happy, hope all is well and will see you soon in the shop.

Happy New Year!

Jeff

John Keeton
12-27-2009, 7:45 AM
Mike, nice job on both the lamps and the ornaments! Looks like they were hits at the gift exchange, too.

Now we know the destiny of the wood you ended up with from Jeff!!:D

Bernie Weishapl
12-27-2009, 10:31 AM
Mike those are excellent lamps. Ornaments look great. Mike congrats on the commission. Word of mouth is great advertising. I showed one and ended up making 9 of them.

Mike Svoma
12-27-2009, 8:31 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys. My sister was very pleased with this lamp. She had been hounding me to make one for her all year. I couldn't tell her taht I was making one for her for Christmas, so that made the surprise that much more special.

John, yes I will be using the majority of the cherry from Jeff for future lamp projects.

I don't know why, but I tend to gravitate towards lamps as my specialty project. I like doing other things but lamps are the most fun for me at this time.

Thanks again and veryone please have a happy and SAFE new year!