PDA

View Full Version : 1 1/2 hp Shaper?

Jason Yeager
12-26-2009, 10:45 PM
Hey All,

Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas! I ended up stumbling on a 9-10 yr old 1.5hp Grizzly shaper with the ext. table and mobile base for $225. I decided to buy it seeing as it was in great shape. I have never used a shaper, but have read a bunch on the website. What kind of operations are suitable on a 1.5hp shaper? I have read about guys raising panels in a single pass with shapers, but wonder if that is more geared to the the 3-5hp units. Thanks for your insights!

What kind of feeder would be recommended for a shaper of this size -- 1/8hp, 1/4hp???

Tom Hintz
12-27-2009, 1:30 AM
Congrats on the "new" shaper!

You can do just about anything on a 1-1/2HP shaper. You have to remember that the shaper motor is way bigger/more powerful than a 1-1/2HP router motor that is measured at the maximum power it will develop. A shaper will make a real 1-1/2HP all day and with a reasonable feed rate can handle pretty much whatever you want to do. I have had 3 and 5 HP shapers in the shop and you can force-feed them well beyond what is good for the wood.
Take your time, use good, sharp cutters and 1-1/2 HP will do just fine!

Chip Lindley
12-27-2009, 1:54 AM
Heck of a Deal, Jason! 1.5 hp shapers are very usable for any 3/4" bore cutters. Raised panels in one pass should be no problem. Enjoy! and Happy New Year!

Paul Greathouse
12-27-2009, 10:19 AM
I have an older 3hp Delta shaper that handles raised panels with ease but to save on shaper cutter life I built a jig to hog off the majority of what the shaper cutter would have to remove, with a saw instead. You can also do this same hogging operation on a tablesaw. I use a tracksaw instead of a tablesaw so I built the jig to do it with the tracksaw.

Removing the excess wood with a saw is also less stressfull on some species of wood and makes the panel pass across the shaper much easier.

Jason Yeager
12-27-2009, 12:16 PM
Thanks Fellas!

The concesus seems to be that a shaper is short armed without a power feeder, what size of feeder would be appropriater for a shaper of this size? I saw a 1/8 hp unit on grizzly for 275, a 1/4 hp for around 450, any other suggestions? Thanks again.

Jim Kountz
12-27-2009, 12:35 PM
Congrats on the great deal Jason, you should be able to do one pass raised panels but to get a nicer cut and finish you might want to take at least two. Either way you got a nice machine there and for a good price!!

Cameron Reddy
12-27-2009, 1:19 PM
I have the Jet 1 1/2hp shaper (now currently for sale as Santa brought a PM2700 down the chimney). The Jet is a wonderful machine for the price. In effect, you have the Mother Of All Routers. Cast iron table. You will love it.

I cut mostly pine on mine and I did a lot of moldings. It never hesitated. However, I'd probably be careful with making deep cuts on hard wood.

Install a power feeder and you will be in heaven.

Cameron Reddy

Jason Yeager
12-27-2009, 8:52 PM
What kind of feeder would you reccommend??
Thanks

Jay Brewer
12-27-2009, 10:15 PM
Hi Jason. I dont like the "baby feeders" much, the yoke that attaches the arm to the feeder is a pain to adjust and keep tight. I have owned 2 of the 1/4 hp feeders and they do work well. They are not going to feed large boards without some help from you, but they work fine for most things.

I bought the Delta 1/4 hp because it comes with the slower gears that you have to pay extra for with Grizzly. It was also cheaper than the Grizzly when you added in shipping. This was a couple years ago, so things could have changed.

Congratulations on the new shaper.

Rod Sheridan
12-27-2009, 11:57 PM
Hi Jason, I have a 1/2 HP feeder (Hammer hc-308) and find that it's fine on a shaper.

I had a small one and it wasn't worth buying.

Regards, enjoy your shaper.....Rod.

Cameron Reddy
12-28-2009, 12:06 AM
I've got a Delta 1/4 hp feeder that is built like a tank and did everything I asked it to do on a small shaper. Remember, you won't be making huge crown molding cuts in Brazilian Cherry on that little guy.

I'm told that I will want a 1hp unit with my new PM2700 and so I'm looking...