PDA

View Full Version : Library system/bookcase question

Laurie Brown
12-26-2009, 10:43 PM
I just re-watched the NYW episode where Norm builds a library system, and I've been thinking about something similar for my home. My question is this. A system like that is great when you want to cover one wall in shelves, but what if you want it to wrap around two adjacent walls? What do you do in the corner? I've never seen that addressed anywhere.

Joe Scharle
12-27-2009, 9:13 AM
I've seen inside corners where two sections are simply butted leaving an empty space behind, but not visible. And for outside corners, like our local library, radioused corner shelves with a featured book on each shelve.

Gerry Grzadzinski
12-27-2009, 10:16 AM
Depends on the design, but typically some type of filler is used in an inside corner. Could be just an "L" shaped piece that sticks out a little past each cabinet.

Kent A Bathurst
12-27-2009, 10:33 AM
If it is an inside corner, one option is to put in a short 45* section, connecting the two wall sections, with a back that is the same depth as the wall sections. I prefer "squared" sides, to eliminate those annoying little angles where stuff seems to disappear. For an outside corner, I'd take a swing at Joe's idea - radiused corner would be very nice.

harry strasil
12-27-2009, 11:24 AM
How about using a lazy susan like kitchen cabinets. In my small Blacksmith shop wall space was at a premium and in one corner next to my bolt bins and drawers, I built a lazy susan on steroids that contained 400 lbs of rivets.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/shop/rivetstorage.jpg

PS: I remember Saint Roy building a lazy susan type book corner storage on one of his episodes of the WoodWright's Shop one time, I believe it was copied after one of Thomas Jeffersons.