PDA

View Full Version : Pics from Williamsburg

Brian Hale
10-11-2004, 6:54 PM
Thought you folks might like a couple shots from my Williamsburg trip last week...

The first 2 are from the barrel makers shed. The fella on the left is shaping the vertical parts of a 9 gallon barrel from QSWO.

I like the way they use a plane to cut the bevel on the barrel parts

The next 2 are from the cabinet makers shop. These guys produced some amazing stuff with the most basic of hand tools

The last 3 are from the carpenters area. They're building a granery that'll be assembeled here, disassembled and moved about 3/4 mile to a site where they're restoring/rebuilding some buildings.

Brian Hale
10-11-2004, 6:58 PM
....here's the other 2

Jack Hogoboom
10-11-2004, 8:19 PM
Very cool!! Glad we don't have to work that hard on our projects any more.

Thanks for sharing.

Jack

Carl Eyman
10-11-2004, 8:29 PM
It is to have a place that goes to the trouble of recreating our roots so we can appreciate our interest in woodworking so much more fully. Williamsburg is a favorite of mine. The principles of freedom we learn there are still vital to us today. I hope we always remember that.

Bruce Page
10-11-2004, 8:49 PM
Great photos, thanks!
I’ll take my electron burners over the “old” way any day.

Steve Clardy
10-11-2004, 9:00 PM
Great photos, thanks!
I’ll take my electron burners over the “old” way any day.
Nice pics and looks interesting. I always liked to WATCH them do that stuff.:)
I'd like to get up there some day and check it out.

But I'm with Bruce, if there was no electricity, I'd be doing something besides what I do. Just not into the hand stuff very often.:rolleyes:

Steve:)

Aaron Koehl
10-12-2004, 9:19 AM
Very nice pics.. I've always loved Williamsburg--born right here. Say, it didn't occur to me to do lunch! My office is literally a block from Merchant's square.

Dan Gill
10-12-2004, 9:35 AM
Great pics. We were in Williamsburg a few years back and it absolutely fascinated me. The wife and kids had fun, but they weren't up for standing and watching for hours.

Did you get to the wheelwright's shop? That was very interesting to me. They made the hubs out of American elm, because it resists splitting. If you've ever tried to get some ready for the fireplace, you know that's true. :)

Chris Padilla
10-12-2004, 10:54 AM
Nice pics and looks interesting. I always liked to WATCH them do that stuff.:)
I'd like to get up there some day and check it out.

But I'm with Bruce, if there was no electricity, I'd be doing something besides what I do. Just not into the hand stuff very often.:rolleyes:

Steve:)
Hey Bro,

When time is money, you are correct about 'lectricity but we have a choice today and I think a little of both is nice...or at least so I'm learning! :D

Dave Moran
10-12-2004, 12:46 PM
Brian, When I was there a couple of years ago, they had a indexing head on the lathe to equally space the flutes they were planing in a bed post. Quite interesting, they had at least two if not more series of concentric holes in the indexing heat to take a dog depending on how many flutes, or other decrotive cuts they wished to make spaced around the turning.

Ted Shrader
10-12-2004, 9:54 PM
Brian -

Glad you had a good visit. Great pics! Always make me appreciate electrons.

Where did you end up staying?

Ted
- Glad that I'm not the guy in the bottom of the saw pit.

John Miliunas
10-12-2004, 11:37 PM
Dang it all, I don't believe I've ever seen a pic with that many folks using that many cordless tools all at the same time! :D Hmmmm...Wonder what the recharge rate is on them? :confused: Seriously, looks like a real neat place to be and great experience to see! :) Thanks for sharing the pics with us, Brian! :cool:

Brian Hale
10-13-2004, 8:08 PM
Thanks guys...

Kathy and I had a great time! We managed to get 4 meals in, one each at Kings Arms Tavern, Christiana Cambell's Tavern, Shields Tavern and Chowings Tavern. (2 for lunch and 2 for dinner) These were actual taverns operating during the Williamsburg time and the food was Top Shelf.

Spent some time at the blacksmiths shop which was very cool. A bit too dark for pictures without flash (I Hate flash) unfortunitly.

Also toured all the big homes and the capital building. Talked for a bit with the guy guiding the oxen cart around and one of the coach drivers.

As for not having electricty, no problem! These guys made it look Easy.

We bought the 1 year pass and plan to return around the 1st week in January and early next summer. We missed a lot and would like to spend some more time at a couple of the places and really get a feel for the work they do.

Spent 2 days there and 2 nights at Jamestown beach campground. We had the whole wooded area to ourselves! ~100 sites and just the 2 of us. Then we headed to Skyline Drive for camping and hiking to a couple of the waterfalls. Did 11 miles in one day! From 2200' down to 1200' and back up. The steaks were good that night!

Aaron, Perhaps we can do the lunch thing sometime.

Even better, sounds like a great SMC group outing!!!

Brian :D

Aaron Koehl
10-14-2004, 1:46 PM
Sure thing-- quite a few folks in the Williamsburg and surrounding areas.

Ted Shrader
10-15-2004, 1:04 PM
Thanks guys...
. . . . Even better, sounds like a great SMC group outing!!!

Brian :D

Brian -

That would be a good meeting spot for the local Creekers. When your next visit gets a little closer, let's see if we can plan something.

Glad the Jamestown Beach Campsite worked out for you.

Regards,
Ted

Carl Eyman
10-15-2004, 2:07 PM
It might be nice to plan a dutch treat supper during the "Working Wood in the Eighteenth Century" conference in January. I don't have the dates yet, but it is usually about the third week in January. Don't know how many Creekers usually attend, but Dave Anderson and I do along with some of his New England buds who may or may not be Creekers.

Brian Hale
10-15-2004, 4:47 PM
Ted, I'll let you know when we make plans for the next visit, sometime in the next year 'cause that's how lnog our passes are good for.

A funny note about the campground..... One morning i decided to use the campgroung shower instead of the one in the camper, after all there weren't many other folks camping there and it was 6AM. So off to the shower i go..

As i check out the showers i notice there are tree frogs in each stall, on the shower curtain, on the shower rods, the walls and benchs and , well you get the idea. Not a big deal, frogs are cool.

So i take my shower and notice the frogs all climb up to just about shoulder level, to escape the hot water i guess. As i go to get out i had to move 4 of them off the shower rod so i could get the curtain open and nudge a couple out of the way so in order to walk on the floor. They seemed to migrate to my stall as i showered.

Well back to the camper i go and relate the story to my better half. She thinks it's pretty cool but there weren't any in the ladies shower. She asked if i got a picture of the frogs.

Something to keep in mind, i'm a nature photographer, mostly macro and closeup stuff so this same question gets asked on a regular basis.

I stare at her for a moment. Blank faced, no expression i say no.

"Why not???? It would make a good picture and you don't have many tree frog shots. Go shoot 'um!"

Another brief stare. "There is no way i'm going to walk into a mens public shower with a camera and tripod!" :eek:

She thought that was quite funny....

Brian :)

John Miliunas
10-15-2004, 5:13 PM
I stare at her for a moment. Blank faced, no expression i say no.

"Why not???? It would make a good picture and you don't have many tree frog shots. Go shoot 'um!"

Another brief stare. "There is no way i'm going to walk into a mens public shower with a camera and tripod!" :eek:

She thought that was quite funny....

Brian :)

Ya see there, Brian; You shoulda' handed the camera to HER! :D :D :D :cool:

Ted Shrader
10-15-2004, 10:38 PM
Ya see there, Brian; You shoulda' handed the camera to HER! :D :D :D :cool:

EXACTLY what I was thinking as I read your post, Brian.

Ted