PDA

View Full Version : what to do with bench screws...

Clisby Clark
12-26-2009, 7:40 PM
I passed on two old bench screw assemblies last week but then got to wondering if I should've gotten them just to have "in case". What are some other possible uses for these screws? The screws are similar to the LV ones linked and I could probably get them for $5 each. Thanks

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=31134&cat=1,41659

Bill Houghton
12-26-2009, 8:03 PM
Clamps, like book presses?

There's a lot of interest lately in what Chris Schwarz of Popular Woodworking calls "wagon vises" - essentially, blocks to hold a bench dog that slide in a slot in the benchtop, replacing the more complex tail vise. One of these would be very good for that purpose.

Jim Koepke
12-26-2009, 8:11 PM
What could be done with them?

At $5 each, you could easily double your money by selling them to me.

Of course, if you want to make a press for padding up paper, pressing grapes or apples these would work well.

If you ever plan on building your own bench...

It is easy to come up with more reasons to snatch them up then to turn them down.

jim

Matt Evans
12-26-2009, 8:19 PM
Bench screws come in handy for a lot of things.

Jigs, veneer presses, custom clamps for pieces, hold-downs, press-punch or ram applications, cabinet assembly/dis-assembly, making a screw chuck for a shop built lathe, trunnion screw for a shop built table saw, tensioner for a shop built bandsaw, adjuster screw for a HUGE norris style timber framing plane. .

Tons of applications.And, if that isn't enough, you can always sell a bench screw on ebay for about twice that, or more depending on the brand.

jerry nazard
12-26-2009, 8:25 PM
Clamps, like book presses?

There's a lot of interest lately in what Chris Schwarz of Popular Woodworking calls "wagon vises" - essentially, blocks to hold a bench dog that slide in a slot in the benchtop, replacing the more complex tail vise. One of these would be very good for that purpose.

I recently acquired an old acme screw that belonged to my grandfather. It became the guts of a new wagon vice that was easy to build, and works like a champ.

harry strasil
12-26-2009, 9:27 PM
If the old bench screws are old enough they will have a double lead thread, which means they will close twice as fast as a normal new single lead screw. I have wrapped some chalk line in one of the threads shown in the picture below that I used on my work bench vise to show what I mean. i buy ever one I can find if they have a double lead thread.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/wood/doubleleadthread.jpg