PDA

View Full Version : Bowl #2 - and a little extra.....

John Keeton
12-26-2009, 6:52 PM
This is the bowl that I was going to do the donut chuck for. But, Alan Trout suggested a jamb chuck, and I thought I would try it so I could get this one finished up. It actually worked pretty well, though I think I will go ahead with the donut chuck.

Cherry, with walnut finial ebonized with India ink. It is about 5.5" to the tip of the finial. BLO and shellac at this point - not sure where to go from here?!? I did get some gloss wipe on poly and may do that, though I am not sure I like the high gloss look.

I think the finial is a little heavy for the bowl. Note to self on that one. I may have loaded up a bit much on my second attempt anyway - first bowl with an undercut, first lid, first finial. I probably need to move a little slower.

Also, the first time that I have tried India ink, and I need to work on the process. I think dipping it would be easier, and if anyone has suggestions I would love to hear them.

I thought I would try a lid, and not thinking it through, I made the bowl with a double rim/recess. Made it a little tougher to do the lid - it wasn't easy in either event!
The bowl and lid are from two pieces of wood (same board, but different sections. The grain actually matches fairly well on one side - not so much on the other.

Oh, and my wife couldn't find another 2009 penny!! I need to get at least a couple of them - just might have time this next week to do another one!!:D:D
And, yes Ken, Tony, Brian, Bernie, Steve - I know I said I wasn't really interested in doing bowls!!!

I am really open for comments/criticism on this piece - I need that in order to improve at this stuff. So, let me hear some comments.

Dennis McGarry
12-26-2009, 6:57 PM
Improve? Umm was going to ask you if I could come down and you teach me!!

Those are beautiful! Nice work John, new to this right.......

Toney Robertson
12-26-2009, 7:15 PM
Nice, very nice.

Toney

Matt Ranum
12-26-2009, 7:19 PM
John your a natural at this turning stuff! Thats beautiful!

ROY DICK
12-26-2009, 7:19 PM
I like everything about it.

Bernie Weishapl
12-26-2009, 7:24 PM
John my friend, I must say that is a beauty. Yes the finial could be more delicate but that will come with time. For your first I am impressed. Not saying a word John.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-26-2009, 7:25 PM
Very, very nice!

I think I'll sell my turning tools and lathe...............

Greg Just
12-26-2009, 8:02 PM
John:

That is very nice. I like the way you kept the grain pattern from the base to the lid. Well done.

Greg

Michael Short
12-26-2009, 8:23 PM
Very nice looking bowl !!!!

Steve Schlumpf
12-26-2009, 8:42 PM
John - this is very nice work! I am impressed with your sense of proportion! A lot of folks would want to turn a thinner finial but in this case - what you have works as is. Most of the really thin finials are intended as adornment and are not functional for use as a knob. In your lidded bowl - the lid is wider than those on most hollow forms and is in every sense of the word - a lidded bowl. As such, the finial should have nice style, detail work and color but should also be substantial enough to serve as a knob/handle. I think you have created the best of both worlds - a stylish finial and a functional lidded bowl. This is really nice work and something you should be proud of!

When you get into hollow forms - then you can figure out how to turn the really thin finials!

Keep up the good work! Looking forward to seeing where this vortex takes you next!

Doug W Swanson
12-26-2009, 9:07 PM
That bowl looks very nice. I am certainly not an expert but I don't think there is anything that needs changing.

JMO
Doug

Steve Mawson
12-26-2009, 9:07 PM
Pretty nice John. You sure you haven't been practicing somewhere? Agree that the lid fit looks challenging but you did a good job with it. Can't make up my mind on the finial, perhaps a little finer would be in order but pretty nice the way it is.

Dennis McGarry
12-26-2009, 9:37 PM
Very, very nice!

I think I'll sell my turning tools and lathe...............

In looking at it again, I agree with you Ken, thats it, I'm done, taking up knitting now...

John you do have a natural born talent for that! Good eye and form on that as well!

Brian Effinger
12-26-2009, 9:42 PM
Wow John! That really turned out well. And I agree with Steve - You really do have a sense of proportion with round things. The form works with the "rule" of thirds, and the form flows from the base up to the wides diameter and then into the lid, which flows smoothly into the finial.

I also agree with him that the finial is just about right. It could have been slightly smaller by maybe 10 or 15%, but no more than that. Of course, that is purely subjective.

If you'd like, I have a few 2009 pennies sitting on my desk, right in front of me, that I could throw in an envelope and mail to you.

Mike Minto
12-26-2009, 9:52 PM
John, hey, i really like that box, especially how you did the bottom. nice job on ebonizing the finial, too!

John Keeton
12-26-2009, 10:01 PM
Thanks, everyone for the comments, and I appreciate the thoughts on the finial. The bowl is sitting on the kitchen counter, and when I walk by the finial looks OK, then the next time - nah, too heavy. Just not sure myself. But, it is too late for this one - that CA sticks pretty well!:D

When you get into hollow forms - then you can figure out how to turn the really thin finials!

Keep up the good work! Looking forward to seeing where this vortex takes you next!There you go, just assuming that I will be getting into hollow forms!!;) Can't do that yet - have to wait on the tools that Jeff Nicol is making me!:D Steve, I really do appreciate your kind words!

The form works with the "rule" of thirds.... If you'd like, I have a few 2009 pennies sitting on my desk, right in front of me, that I could throw in an envelope and mail to you.Thanks, Brian, but I don't know what the "rule" of thirds is??

On the pennies, Thanks, but I will stop by the bank and have one of the tellers pull a few for me. Surely, I will not have time to do more than one or two more before the New Years!

This is my second bowl - no practice runs. BUT, I have turned both of these no fewer than a dozen times in my sleep!!:eek: You all have me dreamin' about this stuff! I even get catches in my sleep!

Brian Effinger
12-26-2009, 10:09 PM
The largest diameter is about 2/3 of the way up from the base to the base of the finial. It isn't a hard and fast rule, but things tend to look a little better when the focal point (like the largest diameter) is at the 1/3 or 2/3 point. Of course, rules are made to be broken. ;)

This is my second bowl - no practice runs. BUT, I have turned both of these no fewer than a dozen times in my sleep!!:eek: You all have me dreamin' about this stuff! I even get catches in my sleep!
We really have him now, eh boys? :D :D :D
Now he's dreaming about turning! :D :D :D

Ken Fitzgerald
12-26-2009, 10:11 PM
Brian,

I am just hoping he isn't cussing when in his dreams he experiences a catch. The LOHL might just slap him up side the head!:rolleyes:

Brian Effinger
12-26-2009, 10:20 PM
Brian,

I am just hoping he isn't cussing when in his dreams he experiences a catch. The LOHL might just slap him up side the head!:rolleyes:

HA!!!! Yeah, he'll wake up with a headache and bruises. :D

Mike Golka
12-26-2009, 11:22 PM
That's one fine look'n turning John!! Well done.

gary Zimmel
12-26-2009, 11:32 PM
Nice, real real nice!
Talk about fast tracking....
You got this thing down pat John!

Jon Finch
12-27-2009, 12:03 AM
Top notch... again!

Curt Fuller
12-27-2009, 12:34 AM
Thanks, everyone for the comments, and I appreciate the thoughts on the finial. The bowl is sitting on the kitchen counter, and when I walk by the finial looks OK, then the next time - nah, too heavy. Just not sure myself.

I've turned quite a lot of finials and I still haven't turned the one that doesn't bring the same reaction in my mind.

fin⋅i⋅al  [fin-ee-uhl
an ornamental termination to the top of a piece of furniture, or of one part of such a piece.

That leaves a lot of room for trial and error.

Nice job!

Joe Adams
12-27-2009, 1:21 AM
Are you sure you weren't a turner in a previous life? That's an amazing second bowl.

Jeff Nicol
12-27-2009, 5:19 AM
John, I believe your day job gives you the patience and desire/need to do good things! You truly are a natural in turning and have great insight. I will put the paint colors on some of the steadies today, and then work on the other stuff. It will be fun to see what you create with them!

Have a Happy New Year!

Jeff

John Keeton
12-27-2009, 7:36 AM
Brian, Steve Schlumpf PMd me on the "rule of thirds." I apologize - I know that by the term "phi" and I do use it in flatwork. Somewhere along the way, I just missed the reference to the rule of thirds. However, in this case I didn't consciously apply any of those concepts, and I guess just lucked into whatever happened here.:confused:

Brian,

I am just hoping he isn't cussing when in his dreams he experiences a catch. The LOHL might just slap him up side the head!:rolleyes:Ken, after several decades of developing my "auxiliary" vocabulary (and, I had done a good job of that BTW!) about 4-5 years ago, I decided to quit cussin' cold turkey. It is still an effort, but I am successful most times.

However, I am pretty sure when I am dreaming, the ol' subconscious kicks in!:eek: I would hate to think of the words I was muttering during those dreams! Apparently, I have remained mute - or at least, have no bruises to show for it!!!:D

Jeff, my day job certainly does not "give" me patience!! Quite the opposite. Although I enjoy what I do, when I walk out, I flip a mental switch. I often comment that I am not a lawyer, I just practice law for a living. There is a huge difference - most lawyers I know eat, drink and sleep the law. They can be really boring creatures! Woodworking is my effort to escape that world when I leave the office/courtroom, and in that sense, perhaps my day job does "encourage" patience.

Curt, thanks for the support on the finial. I wish I had turned two or three of them, and played with the look a little before getting out the glue! Not sure the result would have been different, but it would have given me a little more experience with developing an eye for what is appropriate.

I really appreciate everyone that has taken the time to look and comment!

Tony De Masi
12-27-2009, 8:00 AM
Wow John. That is a wonderful piece, or pieces I guess. You sure arent' wasting any time getting into art vs. utilitarian works are you? I guess I shouldn't be surprised by the quality of your work so far based soley on what I have seen of your flat work. You certainly have patience in those pieces which will serve you well in the round world.

Tony

Rob Cunningham
12-27-2009, 9:38 AM
John, that's beautiful. The bowl and finial go together well.
Are you sure you're not stringing us along about your turning experience?

Fred Belknap
12-27-2009, 10:51 AM
Nice bowl John. I was wondering what process you used to put your handle (name) on the bottom. I'm new to turning but have made a few bowls. The first one or two went pretty good but I seem to be going downhill. :D:D

Fred

Jim Kountz
12-27-2009, 12:42 PM
John Im really starting to doubt your being a newbie at this turning thing. Man that is gorgeous and the proportions and execution is first rate. Perfect job!!

Kenneth Whiting
12-27-2009, 1:48 PM
That is a great bowl, John. I would be very proud of that. You are not lucking into this. It is obvious that you have honed your skills as a woodworker. Whether it's called the rule of thirds or phi, you don't have to consciously make the decision, it just happens for you. Wonderful job on another piece.

Dan Forman
12-27-2009, 4:30 PM
John --- You are doing remarkably well- the bowl/box is lovely. I agree with Steve that the finial doesn't need to be thin for this, it suits the box well for it's purpose and proportions, and looks very good indeed as is.

I haven't tried either yet, but I've heard that Fiebing's USMC Black leather dye is a good alternative to India ink for ebonizing. It comes with an applicator, and is probably easier to use, and certainly cheaper than India Ink.

Dan

John Keeton
12-27-2009, 5:22 PM
Thanks again, guys! You all are really encouraging, and I appreciate that. Makes me want to start another one - just need to decide what to try next.

Dan, thanks for the tip on the shoe/leather dye. I will see if I can pick up some. I used to keep a bottle of the brown and black for shoe touchups, and I believe it is solvent or alcohol based. The India ink is water based and raises the grain some.

Fred, the medallions were laser cut and engraved by George Perzel, an SMC contributor that does business as LaserArt. They are 1.5", and fit nicely in a 1.5" Forstner bit recess. They are already recessed for a penny. They work great.

Gary Zimmel had some done, and was kind enough to have a few done with my name on them. I thought the dozen or so Gary gave me would last 3-4 years for flatwork. But, with this vortex thing going on, they are going to get used up quickly!:D I think on the next batch, I will change the lettering to provide for a piece #, and maybe a place for a date. Not sure on that.

I have looked at the beautiful work done by many of you, and your comments mean a lot.