PDA

View Full Version : New guy with an ongoing project

Scott Dodd
12-26-2009, 6:13 PM
I'm new to SMC and have only been woodworking for 2 years. The only projects I've done so far are things for the shop. The picture is a tool cabinet I'm currently building (started back in the summer). I look forward to picking up (and sharing) some ideas for projects and techniques.

Thanks,
Scott

Chris S Anderson
12-26-2009, 6:44 PM
That looks amazing. I'd get a little confused by what goes in which drawer (I still use my Craftsman double cabinet for everything), but I can see where it's going to be an heirloom and focal point of your shop. Did you paint the bottom, or is the 1k worth of ebony gaboon? :rolleyes:

John Keeton
12-26-2009, 7:03 PM
Excellent work on the cabinet!! Nice design, but for someone like me that is height challenged (I call it short!), those top drawers would be a challenge.

It still is a very nice looking piece, though, and will certainly be one that will stay in the family in generations to come.

Ken Shoemaker
12-26-2009, 7:27 PM
I'm just going to post my tools on e-bay!!!! Nice work!!!! Welcome to Sawmill Creek

gary Zimmel
12-26-2009, 9:20 PM
Welcome to the Creek Scott.
Nice job on the tool cabinet. Can't have to much storage...
Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Sam Layton
12-27-2009, 1:21 AM
Scott, welcome to he Creek. That is a great looking tool cabinet.

Sam

Matt Meiser
12-27-2009, 8:05 AM
Kind of a shame to put it in shop!

Doug Carpenter
12-27-2009, 8:58 AM
Welcome to the Creek; great guys and gals here!

Nice work too, when can I expect delivery.:p

Kind of a shame to put it in shop!

That shop looks to have a tray ceiling! I wish my shop was that nice!

John Thompson
12-27-2009, 10:26 AM
Welcome Scott... I have seen cabinets in libraries that weren't as well done as yours. You have a head start on drawers when you do get around to building furniture for the interior. And BTW... would be helpful to post your location in your profile as some of us poor boys might want to borrow some tools in the future. :D

Nice job...

Scott Dodd
12-27-2009, 4:23 PM
Profile updated. I live in Madison, Ga. and work in Conyers.

Scott

Scott Dodd
12-27-2009, 4:29 PM
Thanks for the comments. I'm almost finished with this project and I'm ready to move on to something else. Here are a few recent pics.

Scott

Scott Dodd
12-27-2009, 4:32 PM
That looks amazing. I'd get a little confused by what goes in which drawer (I still use my Craftsman double cabinet for everything), but I can see where it's going to be an heirloom and focal point of your shop. Did you paint the bottom, or is the 1k worth of ebony gaboon? :rolleyes:

More like $15 worth of poplar with cheap paint and I'll have to label the drawers because I'll never remember what's where.

Scott

John Thompson
12-27-2009, 5:21 PM
Turning out extremely nice in those last pics Scott. And yeah... I'm definitley close enough to borrow tools up in L'ville. Haven't been to Madison in quite awhile but... Conyers has over-grown IMO just as Lawrenceville and Gwinnett Co. in genral.

Have a good day neighbor. BTW.. Ed Sallee the box builder is up in Flowery Branch and Jim Pritchert is over in Stn. Mountain. So... if ya need us, give a shout!

Regards...

Bruce Page
12-27-2009, 6:26 PM
Thanks for the comments. I'm almost finished with this project and I'm ready to move on to something else. Here are a few recent pics.

Scott

I think you should find another hobby. It’s obvious that you struggle at woodworking. :D

Seriously, that is a gorgeous piece of cabinetry. It is hard to believe you have only been doing this for 2 years!

Welcome to SMC!

Cody Colston
12-28-2009, 7:14 AM
Those cabinets are great but I think it's time you moved up to "Fine Furniture" status, judging by the quality of your work.

lou sansone
12-28-2009, 7:48 AM
great piece - inspires me to build one of my own. keep up the good work

lou

paul cottingham
04-05-2013, 7:26 PM
Man, that is nicer than anything I have built for my living room. Thanks for sharing.

Anthony Albano
04-06-2013, 8:24 AM
I really like that; great job

Bill Wyko
04-19-2013, 4:23 PM
That's enough to make H.O. Studley smile. Welldone