PDA

View Full Version : Rosewood box

Steve Jenkins
10-11-2004, 6:21 PM
This is bolivian rosewood. It is 8x8-1/2x3" deep. everything is 1/16 thick. I was going to weigh it but forgot. It's only a few ounces. Sorry for the out of focus on the closed box. Steve

Jim Becker
10-11-2004, 6:22 PM
That's beautiful, Steve. 1/16" thick and that silky rosewood must feel really nice!

Michael Stafford
10-11-2004, 7:01 PM
Spectacular Steve just spectacular. Inquiring minds have to know- how did you trim the miter splines on the inside of the box? It appears in the photos that they are flush with the inside walls of the box. Very nice!!!

Steve Jenkins
10-11-2004, 7:06 PM
Spectacular Steve just spectacular. Inquiring minds have to know- how did you trim the miter splines on the inside of the box? It appears in the photos that they are flush with the inside walls of the box. Very nice!!!

Thanks Michael.
The obvious answer would be Very Carefully. I trimmed them close with a small japanese saw and flushed them with a chisel. The splines are cherry 1/8" thick and I had to be really easy with the chisel since the sides of the box are so thin. steve

Kirk (KC) Constable
10-11-2004, 7:13 PM
That's very pretty. Without any question, I would've already dropped it.

KC

Kevin Gerstenecker
10-11-2004, 7:33 PM
That's simply beautiful Steve, VERY nice work! Being a bit of a "small box" nut, that is simple elegance at it's finest. 1/16" thick is ground where I have not tread before, but you sure nailed it. I am with KC..................I would have probably dropped it too! :D

Rosewood HAS to be the most beautiful wood there is for Decorative Boxes..............I have had people say it is just so perfect, it has to be man made. I always reply........."But only God can make a tree". ;)

Jack Hogoboom
10-11-2004, 8:15 PM
Spectacular box. I can't believe you were able to trim the splines without ruining the box sides.

Where'd you get the beautiful wood?

Jack

Todd Burch
10-11-2004, 9:23 PM
Steve, nice looking box - good choice of wood.

How does the lid stay on the box? Is there a 1/32" rabbet on the lid and box? Is this for a client? What will it be used for? Any pads on the bottom? What's the finish? Did you wrap the grain around the sides?

Steve Jenkins
10-12-2004, 8:14 AM
Steve, nice looking box - good choice of wood.

How does the lid stay on the box? Is there a 1/32" rabbet on the lid and box? Is this for a client? What will it be used for? Any pads on the bottom? What's the finish? Did you wrap the grain around the sides?

After I cut the lid off I used some more of the 1/16 material and glued 3/8 wide strips around the inside of the box so they were about 1/8 above the sides. the lid just sits down over them. It makes for a nice snug fit between the top and bottom.

I shipped it out to a friend in CA. It is a repository for her mothers ashes and will be going into the family vault or whatever it's called. The size of the box was determined by the allowable space.

The piece of rosewood I used wasn't long enough to wrap all 4 sides but when I resawed it I was able to wrap two sieds with each piece and since they were from the same board they match really well all the way.

The finish is a catalyzed lacquer. and there are no pads on the bottom.
Steve

Kent Cori
10-12-2004, 9:33 AM
Wow!! That rosewood is really beutiful. Great job Steve.

Tyler Howell
10-12-2004, 9:44 AM
So delicate. Very nice!:cool:

Dave Brandt
10-12-2004, 10:25 AM
YOWZA! That's some beautiful wood there and the craftsmanship ain't too shabby either. Nice touch on the angled splines.

Dan Gill
10-12-2004, 11:25 AM
Gorgeous work.

John Miliunas
10-12-2004, 2:57 PM
See, now if I were to make a box 1/16th thick, especially with splines like that, I would've started with something at least 1/2" thick, built it, put the splines in, trimmed them and THEN put the whole thing through the BS to get it down to 1/16th! :rolleyes: I like your way better, Steve! :D Great job and it looks really beautiful! :cool:

Scott Coffelt
10-12-2004, 5:51 PM
Really nice.

I have a rather large chunk of that same wood. I think it is 8-10 wide, 3/4 thick and about 6 feet long. I think it ran me about $100. Been waiting for the right project, but really excited to see how well it finishes.

Chris Padilla
10-12-2004, 5:59 PM
Sweet!!

The wind would have taken it outa my shop a while ago. Where in CA...maybe I'll pay it a visit??? ;) :D

Steve Jenkins
10-12-2004, 7:22 PM
Sweet!!

The wind would have taken it outa my shop a while ago. Where in CA...maybe I'll pay it a visit??? ;) :D

Chris it's a ways away. Anaheim. Tell you what though, why don't you come to the BBQ and we will make one for you to take home.Seriously it's bribe time. If you put an oil finish on that stuff it just begs to be rubbed. Steve

Mike Wilkins
10-13-2004, 3:59 PM
Beautiful work and beautiful wood. Just one question. What adhesive did you
use for the joinery?? Since this is an oily tropical lumber, gluing is always a
difficult proposition. Thanks and keep up the great work.

Steve Jenkins
10-13-2004, 4:08 PM
Mike, I've done quite a bit with this wood and just use the normal pva I use for most everything. I've never had any problems with adhesion.

Chris Padilla
10-13-2004, 4:12 PM
Chris it's a ways away. Anaheim. Tell you what though, why don't you come to the BBQ and we will make one for you to take home.Seriously it's bribe time. If you put an oil finish on that stuff it just begs to be rubbed. Steve
Oooohhh you are making this tough....:( :o