PDA

View Full Version : Bicycle tool as turning tool

Mike Minto
12-26-2009, 6:08 PM
I recently came across this old bicycle tire repair tool, and thought I might be able to use it as a texturing tool for turining - whaddya think? Will let you know how it works when I get a chance.

George Guadiane
12-26-2009, 7:10 PM
I would proceed with CAUTION. While the tool LOOKS fairly sturdy, but it could come apart, and that would be a problem!
BE CAREFUL!

Bernie Weishapl
12-26-2009, 7:27 PM
I agree with George on this. I do think with no bearing you are playing with fire.

Mike Minto
12-26-2009, 7:53 PM
good points, guys - i will be careful. the 'cutter' does rotate, but true, no bearing. thanks for the reminder!

Terry Quiram
12-26-2009, 9:22 PM
I don't think it will work very well because the edge that will do the cutting doesn't appear to be very sharp. However I would like to know the results of your experiment.

Jeff Nicol
12-27-2009, 5:38 AM
I made one out of a washer, bolt and a piece of wood and it works just fine. The only thing is I had to put a nyloc nut on the bolt to keep it from spinning off. Your could improve the edge some and deepen the grooves around the wheel if you wanted more bite. I use mine just to make a lot of dents in the wood as it spins, not to cut like the Sorby tools to actually cut the wood for spirals and such. I bought one of the mini Sorby texture tools and have not tried it much, so I have not got the hang of it to good yet.

Good luck,

Jeff