PDA

View Full Version : More Coffee Scoops

Mike Peace
12-26-2009, 5:11 PM
About a week ago I posted a few of the coffee scoops I have been making turned on two axis. Since then I got interestd in a two piece scoop like the kind Ruth Niles does. Here is a picture of some of the new ones.

The goal is to make one that will hold two tablespoons which I understand is a common coffee scoop size. I got it on the third try with the bottom one which is approx 1 3/8" ID and 1 3/4" deep. That one is made of Sweet Gum with a cherry handle.

The top one is Cherry and the middle one is Walnut and Bradford Pear. I think I like this style better than the dual axis style.

Steve Mawson
12-26-2009, 5:18 PM
Very nice and functional. There is a good chance that this one is going to be copied--by me, hope that is OK.

Bob Vavricka
12-26-2009, 5:48 PM
Mike,
Nice scoops, I really like the middle one and agree with you, I like these a little better than the two axis ones you posted earlier. I'm with Steve--these may get copied in the near future. Thanks for sharing them.
Bob V.

Steve Schlumpf
12-26-2009, 6:00 PM
Mike - very nice work! I like these but also like the originals! Nice to be able to offer such diverse styles for your customers to choose from! I expect these to be really big sellers! Thanks for sharing!

Joe Pierce
12-26-2009, 6:49 PM
These are really nice. I too will be making a few of these.

John Keeton
12-26-2009, 6:55 PM
Those are really nice projects, Mike!! I like these better, as well. BTW, did you see the one in the recent issue of Woodturning Design (I think that is the right title?!) They connected the bowl to the handle with silver wire and epoxy. Interesting concept. What did you do on these?

Bernie Weishapl
12-26-2009, 7:31 PM
Mike those are nice. I really like them. I am going to have to give them a try.

Mike Peace
12-26-2009, 7:42 PM
...They connected the bowl to the handle with silver wire and epoxy. Interesting concept. What did you do on these?

I read that article and then forgot about it until you mentioned it. I used the same method Ruth Niles uses. I drill a 1/4" hole while it is on the lathe and make a tenon on the end of the handle to fit. I glue the handle with medium CA. You can find Ruth's directions here: http://www.woodturningonline.com/Turning/Projects/coffee-scoop.html

I do not see the need for the wire except to add a bit of pizzaz. Kurt's plans say that "...a hefty wall thickness on the scoop is needed as support for the handle." The ring where the handle is attached are just under a quarter of an inch thick. I guess time will tell if that is hefty enough without any wire to help provide support.

Comments on this are welcome.

Greg Just
12-26-2009, 7:56 PM
Mike:

I like both styles, but I especially like the walnut and bradford pear one.

Question - are you drilling the 1/4 inch hole all the way through? If yes, how do you finish in the inside after gluing the handle on?

Thanks,
Greg