PDA

View Full Version : Another dog hole issue

Anthony Whitesell
12-26-2009, 5:01 PM
I opted for the plug and redrill option. This is my first benchtop and I'm sure it won't be my last (that's why I built it from 2x's in the first place). I built a new template which worked much better. Insted of registering off of previous holes alone. I registered off of the front edge and used one of the previous holes as an index. At worst the are only off in sets of four. It looks alot better than it did before. But I've encountered a different issue. One of the plugs was appearently not glued all the way around . When I redrill that one hole, a cresent shape piece of the plug remained. An edge of the plug broke away, basically leaving me with an oblong hole.

I came up with two options, but I could use some others. My first thought, is to fill the broken edge of the plug with epoxy and while the epoxy is wet glue in a plug and redrill (or should I just epoxy the plug in place and forgo the glue?). Or, plug the 3/4" hole leaving the void, redrill with a 1" bit, plug the 1" hole and drill the center of the 1" plug with the 3/4" bit.

Any other ideas?

Jim Koepke
12-26-2009, 7:48 PM
My thoughts would to make a mortise out of the hole and then glue in a square piece.

What is learned by me from this is to mark the holes carefully and space them so being off a little will not cause a problem.

FWW had a tip based on having a piece of wood as a fence to register with the edge of a piece then a bushing to guide the drill bit and a dowel to resister in the previously drilled hole.

My plans are to make something similar with multiple bushings and such to drill spacer holes for the shelves in a cabinet the wife wants me to build.

jim

harry strasil
12-26-2009, 10:37 PM
Just mark and start with a spade bit, then use whatever you want to finish the holes.