PDA

View Full Version : How do you store your tablesaw fence?

Jason White
12-26-2009, 2:01 PM
I have a Biesemeyer T-square type fence on my cabinet saw. The saw does not have a fence holder/cradle, so I'm always looking for a wall to lean it against or a horizontal surface to set it on.

Was thinking I'd make one out of plywood or metal. The table-top is all cast-iron, so I can't just screw into a plywood extension wing.

Got any ideas? Pictures of your solutions would be most helpful.

Thanks!

Jason

Dave Cav
12-26-2009, 2:07 PM
I hang mine vertically by the head on a wall mounted bracket made out of scrap plywood.

Gary McNair
12-26-2009, 2:26 PM
Hi Jason
The below link features the new Delta Unisaw. If you can scramble thru it you'll see how they mounted their fence support on the side table legs. This appeals to me, I'm going to try it on my new PM66.

shttp://www.deltaportercable.com/unisaw/

Chip Lindley
12-26-2009, 2:47 PM
I'd rather keep my fence close to the saw in the event (seldom) it's removed. I would mount the brackets below the tilt crank wheel. Anywhere else; it's IN the Way!

Here's a close-up of stock Delta/Rockwell metal brackets which mount to the side of the saw cabinet. HO-MADE versions could be easily made. Maybe something to prevent scratching? No metal-to-metal contact.

glenn bradley
12-26-2009, 2:49 PM
I don't do much sheet goods work so I just push my fence down to the right end of the table. This is only about 45" away but is almost always enough.

The cradle(s) that came with my saw (which screwed to the side of the cabinet body) was unfriendly to the underside edge of my fence faces so I stuck a piece of scrap on top of it.

I now store my RT fence there and set my TS fence over on a work table on the rare occasions that I remove it.

The brackets are available from Sears parts (http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/showPart.pd?partNumber=OR91135&productGroupId=0009&supplierId=152&brandId=x&documentId=P0607068&keySuffixId=NA&modelNumber=x&keyId=000328&pageId=00000&productTypeId=x&searchModelNumber=152221240&subCompDesc=Stand%20assembly&brandDesc=CRAFTSMAN&modelDesc=TABLE-SAW&blt=11) for a couple bucks apiece and work great with a shelf of some sort added on.

Bruce Volden
12-26-2009, 2:50 PM
I have a 6" ID piece of PVC secured to the left pair of legs on my TS. When not in use I simply slide it in there. Works great, cheap..need I say more :cool:

Bruce

glenn bradley
12-26-2009, 2:55 PM
I have a 6" ID piece of PVC secured to the left pair of legs on my TS. When not in use I simply slide it in there. Works great, cheap..need I say more :cool:

Bruce

Sweet idea. I've got a chunk of that in the rafters.

Jamie Buxton
12-26-2009, 3:29 PM
A shop-made plywood holster on the base. My Unisaw is old enough that it didn't have a motor cover, so mine is shop-made. The fence holster is fastened to it.

Jason White
12-26-2009, 6:05 PM
Yep, I saw that. I don't have legs on my saw, though.

Jason

Hi Jason
The below link features the new Delta Unisaw. If you can scramble thru it you'll see how they mounted their fence support on the side table legs. This appeals to me, I'm going to try it on my new PM66.

shttp://www.deltaportercable.com/unisaw/

Mike Heidrick
12-26-2009, 6:40 PM
Bies makes a bracket that mounts under your saw that the fence slides into. About $10.

Jason White
12-26-2009, 7:58 PM
I've looked all over. Where can you get them?

Jason

Bies makes a bracket that mounts under your saw that the fence slides into. About $10.

Brian Penning
12-26-2009, 9:50 PM
I gotta ask why not leave it pushed over to the far right end of the saw table?
Can't remember the last time I needed to take it off.

Harold Burrell
12-26-2009, 10:01 PM

Yeah...I'm wondering that myself. :confused:

Laurie Brown
12-26-2009, 10:02 PM
I rarely remove mine either. I find it more of a pain to remove it, carry it around, and put it back on. I'll either slide mine out of the way to the right, or if I have to remove it, set it aside on a bench temporarily. It's stored most of the time right on the saw.

Always wondered what those brackets on the side of the saw were for. :) I put a board over mine too and use it as a shelf to store push sticks and other small misc. accessories for the saw.

Scott Schwake
12-26-2009, 11:13 PM
Shop made shelf under my workbench/outfeed table.

Charles Wiggins
12-26-2009, 11:27 PM
I had a piece of pegboard on the wall close to my table saw where I hung saw blades and accessories. I just made a shelf out of a 2x4 and L-hooks that I rested the fence on when I needed it out of the way.

Jason White
12-26-2009, 11:35 PM
My rails aren't very long. I can only push the fence 30" to the right of the blade.

Jason

Mike Heidrick
12-27-2009, 12:43 AM
Must not make them anymore.

I will show you pics of mine and then make one out of wood.

Steve Rozmiarek
12-27-2009, 12:41 PM
My saw is a Felder combo, so I take the fence off often. To stash it, I built a cart. It also holds spindles, collars, shaper fence stuff, tables, etc., but the cart idea worked well for me. Just a thought. When I had a Biesmeyer type fence equiped saw, I stuck the fence on a shelf that the previous owner had built under the right table. It didn't come off very often, what good is a tablesaw without a fence? When it was an assembly table though....

Lee Schierer
12-28-2009, 9:06 AM
I have a contractor type saw and made a shelf that attaches to the legs on each side of the table. My Beismeyer fence and some push pads rest on one when not in use. My guard and some home made feather boards rest on the other side when not being used.