PDA

View Full Version : Some Christmas Ornaments

Brian Effinger
12-26-2009, 11:58 AM
Here are the Christmas ornaments that I have made recently.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/picture.php?albumid=267&pictureid=2628

^^^These are my first two successful ornaments. The birdhouse is buckthorn with an oak roof and icicle and the globe is mahogany with a maple finial and icicle.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/picture.php?albumid=267&pictureid=2627

^^^They are buckthorn bodies. The one on the left has a mesquite roof and icicle, while the other two have oak roofs and the icicles are part of the body. These were inspired by Jeff Nicol and Leo Van Der Loo. Thanks guys! :)

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/picture.php?albumid=267&pictureid=2626

^^^These are also buckthorn bodies. The two on the left use purpleheart for the roofs and icicle, while the one on the right has a spalted pecan and walnut roof and a walnut icicle.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/picture.php?albumid=267&pictureid=2629

^^^The globe on the left is myrtle and the one on the right is spalted pecan. Both have walnut finials and icicles.

Comments and critiques are always welcome. And a photo tent is on my list of new year's resolutions. :)

Brian

David Walser
12-26-2009, 12:02 PM
Brian,

I like the variety of your ornaments. The finish on all of them appears to be superb. Very well done!

Steve Schlumpf
12-26-2009, 12:31 PM
Brian - very nice work on all of them! I like your variety of woods and styles!

David E Keller
12-26-2009, 12:33 PM
Very cool... I love the variety. I'm definitely making some of these when I get a chance.

John Keeton
12-26-2009, 2:09 PM
Brian, you did a superior job on those!! The last pic is my favorite - that spalted pecan is beautiful wood, and contrasts well with the walnut. Have you tried BLO on the walnut before finishing? Hard to tell with the flash. It will darken the walnut and make the contrast even more dramatic.

Great work!!

Bernie Weishapl
12-26-2009, 2:24 PM
Those are all beauties. Really like the natural birdhouses. The last spalted pecan is my favorite but all are very nice.

Brian Effinger
12-26-2009, 4:08 PM
Thanks for the comments guys! :)

David - I'm happy with the finish, but I think I could have done better. I'll have to keep practicing with the rattle can lacquer.

John - I'll have to do the BLO next time. I have plenty of walnut to try it out on. I would guess I'd have to put either lacquer sanding sealer or shellac on after the BLO?

Ron Bontz
12-26-2009, 6:33 PM
Nice Brian. I should be so talented. I was wondering where you got your birds?

Steve Mawson
12-26-2009, 8:55 PM
Great set of houses. Like all the different woods. All are quite nice.

Brian Effinger
12-26-2009, 9:27 PM
Nice Brian. I should be so talented. I was wondering where you got your birds?
The cardinals came from Michaels, the other larger birds came from Hobby Lobby and the small bird came from a local hobby/train/rc shop (Niagara Hobby). And they really aren't all that hard. At least the bird houses. There is a bit of a learning curve for the hollow form globes. I destroyed a few of those (made the I.D. larger than the O.D.) but I think I am getting the hang of it now. I'm going to make some more in the next few weeks, so I can continue to practice hollowing.

John Keeton
12-26-2009, 9:46 PM
I would guess I'd have to put either lacquer sanding sealer or shellac on after the BLO?Brian, I put the BLO on while the lathe is turning, and then take a dry paper shop towel and buff it on the lathe, and immediately apply a coat shellac. I let it "spin dry" - just takes a minute or so, and then use a fine abrasive pad (or steel wool - remember the warning!!) I wipe off the dust, and apply another coat, then burnish it with shavings. I never turn off the lathe.

Brian Effinger
12-26-2009, 10:00 PM
Brian, I put the BLO on while the lathe is turning, and then take a dry paper shop towel and buff it on the lathe, and immediately apply a coat shellac. I let it "spin dry" - just takes a minute or so, and then use a fine abrasive pad (or steel wool - remember the warning!!) I wipe off the dust, and apply another coat, then burnish it with shavings. I never turn off the lathe.
Thanks John. :) I have an oak globe that is in need of a finial and icicle, and I think walnut and blo will look good with it. I think I'll give it a try tomorrow.