PDA

View Full Version : What didn't you do?

George Sanders
12-26-2009, 8:44 AM
I work for a farmer and due to the wet weather the harvest prevented me from getting anything done as far as woodworking this year. The one thing I wanted to do was build a rocking horse for my 2 year old grandson. I built one last year for his cousin and it turned out great. I am starting on it today but it just isn't the same as if it were on Christmas.
Anyone else feeling guilty for not accomplishing something this year?

Philip Johnson
12-26-2009, 9:05 AM
Your not alone I bought a lot of new tools this year to get back into woodworking. I was going to make some cabinets for the laundry room and mud room, a chair and table for the grandson and I wanted to make one of them rocking horses too. Well I don.t have one project crossed off my list yet.

Ken Shoemaker
12-26-2009, 9:13 AM
I'm making as list and checking it twice"..... Actually, SWMBO is makin' the list....:rolleyes:

Jacob Mac
12-26-2009, 10:11 AM
In October/November, I decided to start making some real progress on some furniture for my bedroom. I am still on the first night stand. Shop time just has not been available. Oh well, I will get some of it done before spring.

Jason White
12-26-2009, 12:14 PM
YES!

So glad I'm not alone in this.

Despite my best intentions, I'm in the shop today (and for the next several days) trying to complete a pine "dry sink" that I'd hoped to give my wife for Xmas. Totally my fault, I just didn't give myself enough time.:(

I think she'll still be thrilled with it though, simply because I made it for her.

Jason

At
I work for a farmer and due to the wet weather the harvest prevented me from getting anything done as far as woodworking this year. The one thing I wanted to do was build a rocking horse for my 2 year old grandson. I built one last year for his cousin and it turned out great. I am starting on it today but it just isn't the same as if it were on Christmas.

Cody Colston
12-26-2009, 1:13 PM
I had a whole list of want-tos and obligations that for the most part I finished. The only project that I didn't finish by the hoped-for Christmas date was a commissioned rocking chair...due to the wood not being ready to pick up on time.

The client says no problem, however, so I'll be taking my time on it over the next couple months.

I also have a lengthy list of home repairs/modifications/construction that will soon be competing for my woodworking shop time. Oh well, it will all get done when it gets done. :rolleyes:

Chris S Anderson
12-26-2009, 1:16 PM
I wanted to redo the kitchen pantry 3x3x10 foot space with some new shelves with a decorative bloodwood inlay and some dovetail drawers that were attached under the the waist-level shelf.

I made the shelves. They came out nice. I had to glue up 2 pieces of oak and that required some hand planing and jointing, but nothing else with that pantry got done...oh, I did finish an almost empty bottle of Glennfidich and threw it out.

Steve Rozmiarek
12-26-2009, 1:23 PM
Same here George. Harvest went a month and a half longer than expected, which seriously hurt the shop time. Wanted to finish my sharpening station, and start the secretary project, but all I've done is the basic essential fixing stuff that happens around a house.

Richard Dragin
12-26-2009, 2:10 PM
You shouldn't let what is supposed to be your relaxing hobby create angst and guilt. Let go, do what you can and enjoy the moment.

Jacob Mac
12-26-2009, 3:25 PM
You shouldn't let what is supposed to be your relaxing hobby create angst and guilt. Let go, do what you can and enjoy the moment.

Good point, plus when I rush I end up making mistakes. So, it is best to keep things in perspective. That said, my wife has graciously lived sith bedroom furniture that I had as a bachelor in college. I think I spent $20 on all of it. So I need to get in gear and make some better furniture. As soon as my glue up of the night stand is done, I can move on to finishing and starting some chest of drawers

keith ouellette
12-26-2009, 3:44 PM
My year is different than all of yours. I always figure my year starting in may. Thats the beginning of the mowing season when I'm on every week. In the summer I don't get to go out to the shop at all.

So right now is when I get to complete things for the house and in the shop.

The only thing stopping me is me and money; my two biggest obsticals for everything I want to do.

Laurie Brown
12-26-2009, 10:26 PM
I started repainting my bathroom, started refinishing the kitchen cabinets, started building some extra kitchen cabinets, drew up plans for a counter/storage/computer area for the livingroom.... but none of it got done. In May I started a job that took up most of my time, 7 days a week, and by the time I got any free time again the temperature dropped and with no heat in my shop, can't work out there at all until we get some warmth outside. :(

Harold Burrell
12-27-2009, 5:53 AM

Yes.

I will not, however, attempt to list everything that that list includes. Or else I will not accomplish much this year either...

Chris Kennedy
12-27-2009, 6:10 AM
I have barely had time to get into the shop this past year. I fractured my wrist shortly after New Years, and with its recovery, complications, and eventual surgery, it has not been usable much this past year. Add to that that the household chores took longer with it, a very busy year at work, and well, little to no shop time. I had been planning to build a bed for my son, but that is simply not going to happen. It galls me, but I am going to have to buy one.

Cheers,

Chris

John Shaffner
12-27-2009, 9:50 AM
I didn't even come close to completing the list of things I wanted to do this year. The hunny do list got longer, in fact. So did the shop to do list. Then, throw in the list of stuff I had to do for craft shows....man!!! It got so bad that I got burnt out trying to get ahead of it all. I didn't even want to go out to the shop. Then I came across the revelation that my shop time is supposed to be fun, not stressful. After all, I'm frikkin' retired! So, out the door went the idea that I HAVE to get all this stuff done. Now I go out there to work(read play) because I WANT to, not because I have to. It sure seems like I am getting more done and feeling better about it. I still have the lists, but they're getting shorter!

John

Steve Rozmiarek
12-27-2009, 12:31 PM
I didn't even come close to completing the list of things I wanted to do this year. The hunny do list got longer, in fact. So did the shop to do list. Then, throw in the list of stuff I had to do for craft shows....man!!! It got so bad that I got burnt out trying to get ahead of it all. I didn't even want to go out to the shop. Then I came across the revelation that my shop time is supposed to be fun, not stressful. After all, I'm frikkin' retired! So, out the door went the idea that I HAVE to get all this stuff done. Now I go out there to work(read play) because I WANT to, not because I have to. It sure seems like I am getting more done and feeling better about it. I still have the lists, but they're getting shorter!

John

I hear ya John! I was getting a pretty heavy workload of paying shop customers a few years ago, not enough to support anything really, but enough to take lots of time. I had to step back and decide what I wanted to spend time on, and my solution was I'm not for hire in the woodshop. I'll build things to give to people, but not being obligated financially put the fun back in it for me.

At the time I was building a new business too, so I thought I'd get back into custom work someday. That might happen if this economy finishes my business off!