PDA

View Full Version : Thinking About Buying Carving Chisels

Allan Froehlich
12-26-2009, 3:31 AM
Hello All,

As a Christmas gift, I recieved a gift card to Woodcraft and I plan on purchasing a carving set. I already have some experience with carving chisels. My first set was a Buck Brothers (absolute junk) and my second is a Power Grip. The Power Grip was a huge step over the first. What amazes me about them is that they stay so sharp despite all that I put them through. I'd say that the Power Grip hold an edge better than my Marples/Irwin standard chisels!

My goals in carving are to be able to work on project details in line with Sheraton, Chippendale and Hepplewhite styles. I see ball and claw legs and finial fan carvings in my immediate future.

I would like to buy a set, but I often hear people say that I should buy them when I need them. I have been eyeing Pfeil tools for some time now.

There are 3 Pfeil sets that I am considering from the Woodcraft catalog:
Intermediate Carving Tools Set ($309) 12 chisels
Professional Carving Set ($369) 12 chisels
Brienz Intermediate Set ($489) 18 chisels

The first set has shorter chisels than the other two.

Any Input?

Terry Beadle
12-26-2009, 10:13 AM
I would recommend you look into Flexcut carving tools. They are made for hand pushing and not so much hammer work. They do have a power line of cutting chisels too.

I bought a small set of their power cutting chisels but use them with plastic handles that I got from Harbor Freight. Works for me and I have less than $200 in them.

What I like about them is the control you get and they have and keep a sharp edge for quite a long time. Use some of that Flexcut Gold abrasive stick on a hone and you are ready to go in a short amount of time.

Take care !

Brian Kent
12-26-2009, 12:37 PM
Allan,

I am not yet a carver, so this is just a repetition of advice. Lot's of people want to know what to buy first and the recommendation is always to buy for the project.

But if you have none of the tools, you need to start with something.

So the advise I read is to choose a tutorial like Mike Henderson's on making a flower. Read through and see which tools he uses and buy them. That is your starter set.

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=95340&highlight=carving+tutorial

Brian

Mike Henderson
12-26-2009, 1:44 PM
I would not recommend buying a set of carving tools - you'll get several tools you never use. Figure out what you want to carve first and then buy the tools you need for that job. When you go to carve another design, add to your set. You'll find that you can use non-optimal tools to get the job done, but the right tool makes the job easier. This is just my opinion, but I'm not a big fan of Flexcut carving tools. I do like the Pfeil tools and many of my carving tools are Pfeil.

If you want to develop your skills, and don't care what you carve initially, I have some tutorials for furniture carving. Check the sticky in the Woodcarver's forum.

It's also extremely important that you learn how to sharpen carving tools. If you can't sharpen, you can't carve.

Good luck!

Mike

Allan Froehlich
12-26-2009, 3:29 PM
Personally, I prefer chisels that I can strike with a hammer over palm chisels.

I know that a set might include some chisels that I will not use frequently, but I think that the discount of the set will bypass that. I'm probably going to get some rasps and files too.

Phillip Bogle
12-26-2009, 4:23 PM
I know that a set might include some chisels that I will not use frequently, but I think that the discount of the set will bypass that.I have to disagree. An 18 piece set @ $489. is $27.17 which is about a $1 per chisel savings. If you only use 3 or 4 chisels out of the set -- and most carvers use only 3 or 4 and a couple good knives -- you just paid $122. per chisel. I know that doesn't seem right but trust us you will settle on 3 or 4 chisels for the bulk (90%) of your work.

Mike and Brian both gave you sterling advice. I sharpen professionally, and I have been carving a couple of years, and I am just now getting good at sharpening correctly. Yes they were sharp before, and I could cut myself with the merest of brushing the edge. There is a difference between cutting and cutting edge done right. You have to put an edge on and retain the right shape for your work. I started with Mikes tutorials, and some signs, now I do mostly wood spirits, and caricatures. My tastes may change, as my abilities grow. I am now looking at some relief carvings, which looked way too complicated when I started, but now I know how to carve, so not as big a mystery. I will say without any doubt, if you do not learn to sharpen right, and go with that first, you will not enjoy what you are trying to learn, and then all of your investment, will be a waste. I wouldn't bother with the rasp or rifflers right yet. A good sharp cut will change the need for those. You may want to check, but I don't think you have to use all of your gift card in one big shot. Grow as you go.
Phil B.

Allan Froehlich
12-26-2009, 6:02 PM
I have to disagree. An 18 piece set @ $489. is $27.17 which is about a $1 per chisel savings. If you only use 3 or 4 chisels out of the set -- and most carvers use only 3 or 4 and a couple good knives -- you just paid $122. per chisel. I know that doesn't seem right but trust us you will settle on 3 or 4 chisels for the bulk (90%) of your work.

I read through the catalog and found that the 7x$ savings only happened when you bought the sets containing the mallet, roll case and the stones. Otherwise, you really only do save a few dollars per chisel.

Okay, I'm convinced.

Allan Froehlich
12-27-2009, 2:07 AM
BTW- I did make a few flowers similar to Mike Henderson. I did them with my Power Grip chisels. I made most of them before his thread was posted and then made the final one after I read his post.

The first thing I ever carved to my own expectations was a few leaves in a pine cutoff. My tool was an old screwdriver that I hammered a bend in and then used an angle grinder and diamond nail file to sharpen. It was a work of art!!!

edit: I was putting my order together for 5 chisels that I thought would be a good place to start when I noticed that there was a small kit of 6 chisels (05w20) that had all of the chisels I want. I think I will go for it on Monday. I also want to get the custom engraving done and found out they can do it on a per-tool basis (no set required for later purchases). I'm thinking about having my name put on them!

Allan Froehlich
12-28-2009, 3:53 PM
My chisels should be here in a few days.

I spent a few more hours figuring out what to order. I went with the 6-piece 05w20. I figured that this was a good idea because the chisels were larger versions of my Power Grip chisels, all of which I use. I am not expecting anything here to collect dust.

Vic Castello
12-29-2009, 10:16 PM
My first set was the basic Flexcut Mallet set of 6 chisels, and I've used every one in it to death. Unless you are going to do miniature carvings, etc. you probably can't go wrong with this basic and very cost effective set. However, from there on out...I would follow Mike Henderson's advice and buy only what you need as uses for them develop. These chisels aren't cheap, and the European ones keep going up in price all the time!

One time, I bought a set of 6 Ashley Isles palm tools, thinking that at one time or another, I would use them all. Three years later, I haven't! I've use maybe 3 the most. I've never particularly cared for that set. I bought them sight unseen out of a catalog which is NOT the best way to buy tools. It's better to handle them, and maybe try them out first.

But, I must admit to being a Flexcut "set-0-holic"! I have 3 of their palm sets, and I DO use all of them. I have a set of 4 Flexcut scorps coming that my kids ordered me for Christmas. I'll let you know if I should have followed Mike's advice on THAT one!

;)

Allan Froehlich
12-31-2009, 5:23 PM
I just received my set in the mail!!!!

Vic Castello
12-31-2009, 5:40 PM
Nothing more exciting than that!

:)