PDA

View Full Version : I got a new power tool for christmas

Zach England
12-26-2009, 12:06 AM
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs199.snc3/20663_1266567474974_1553413332_699470_1485054_n.jp g

John Coloccia
12-26-2009, 12:45 AM
Have you thought about outfeed table options yet? I have I One Way I'm not using at the moment. Let me know if you'd like to borrow it for setup.

Michael Wetzel
12-26-2009, 7:27 AM
New kind of wood joinery? :eek:

Chris Damm
12-26-2009, 8:40 AM
Is that for stitch and glue boat construction???:D

Gene Howe
12-26-2009, 8:45 AM
This thread is onlt sew-sew:D:D

Todd Trebuna
12-26-2009, 9:01 AM
Funniest thread ever.

Jim O'Dell
12-26-2009, 9:22 AM
Ahhhh, I get it. You're the guy that got his wife a lawnmower last Christmas, aren't you??? :D:D:D Jim.

Chris S Anderson
12-26-2009, 9:26 AM
Did you tell your wife that you "ripped" a lot of things in the shop?

Mitchell Andrus
12-26-2009, 10:51 AM
No kidding... get good at it and you'll find yourself looking for projects that require upholstery. Practice on cheap cloth and work up to the good stuff.

I used to upholster cars, boats, even did a few helicopters. I had that shop for 13 years. I don't have my industrial machine anymore, but I do use my wife's once in a while. Save me hundreds of dollars a year 'cause I can do the upholstery myself on the few resto's I take in.

I miss my Pfaff Walking Foot machine. It had a 1.5 hp motor with a clutch and would sew through 5 layers of leather.

Sewing is NOT for wimps!!!!

Chris S Anderson
12-26-2009, 11:17 AM
It's a good thing you're not a neanderthal

http://www.smith.edu/hsc/silk/Images/Jacquard%20Loom.jpg

Zach England
12-26-2009, 12:12 PM
No kidding... get good at it and you'll find yourself looking for projects that require upholstery. Practice on cheap cloth and work up to the good stuff.

I used to upholster cars, boats, even did a few helicopters. I had that shop for 13 years. I don't have my industrial machine anymore, but I do use my wife's once in a while. Save me hundreds of dollars a year 'cause I can do the upholstery myself on the few resto's I take in.

I miss my Pfaff Walking Foot machine. It had a 1.5 hp motor with a clutch and would sew through 5 layers of leather.

Sewing is NOT for wimps!!!!

yeah, upholstery and home dec are my primary interests. I've done a bit of upholstery and have access to a Juki industrial machine for heavier stuff. I considered getting an industrial machine for home, but I don't have a lot of room for it. My mom is a professional seamstress and got this for me to get me started in general sewing. Below is a chair that I found on the side of the road. She helped me re-upholster it.

JohnT Fitzgerald
12-26-2009, 12:20 PM
I wonder how effective a power feeder would be on that! LOL

Carlos Alden
12-26-2009, 12:57 PM
Cool! As a sailor I see lots of great projects being done with good quality machines. This is as much as a power tool as a Sawbonez 3000 Lazer Guided 3 HP tablesaw.

As dangerous, too. When I and my sister were wee little toddlers and my Mom was a ranking officer's wife on an Air Force base, she was doing a quick repair on the dress she was wearing - it had snagged on something, so she took it off and threw it on the sewing machine. Half her attention was on the children, so she put here thumb where it should not have been. The needle went right through and she could not get it out.

She leaned over and opened the window (Alaska in winter) and started calling for help . She finally got the attention of a young Airman who nervously entered the house of a Colonel to help his wife wearing only bra and panties. He was relieved to find it was nothing more than a quick tug on the sewing machine wheel.

Carlos

Stephen Tashiro
12-26-2009, 6:18 PM
A person who can thread a sewing machine will be able to handle all the other tasks encountered in life.

Dave Johnson29
12-26-2009, 7:37 PM
A person who can thread a sewing machine will be able to handle all the other tasks encountered in life.

My $80 "Brother" brand sewing machine all but threads itself. I only have to do the thread through the needle.

Todd Trebuna
12-26-2009, 8:26 PM
At last count my wife has a Kenmore computerized sewing machine a Janome single needle basic machine, a Janome Embroidery machine, a Janome industrial machine mounted on a quilting table, a Serger and an overlock.
I can thread them all, and have accomplished both a robe and a bunting bag for my daughter now 10 years old. I only wish I could figure out why I still must touch the poly when it's still wet.
I get her sewing machines, she left me alone in HF, and is encouraging me to get the Ridgid Planer. ;) It's a heavenly arrangement.