PDA

View Full Version : Delta 46-460 question

Paul Williams
12-25-2009, 8:02 PM
My wife must have noticed the number of times I stopped to look at the Delta midi lath 46-460 as she gave me one for Christmas. I have been turning wood on my small metal lathe and this will be a welcome addition to the shop.

I just couldn't wait until I built a stand etc. so I placed it on the floor and turned it on just to watch it go round. Now for my question. Is a little vibration normal under these circumstances. It is strange in that it appears to be motor speed dependant but not spindle speed dependant.

In the low speed belt setting you can feel a little vibration in the base but you do not hear nor see anything. As the variable speed control is advanced vibration begins to where at the top of the speed setting for the low range it vibrates the floor enough to shake tools on a table several feet away. Shifting to the high speed range the vibration is gone with the variable speed control at a low setting even though the spindle speed is greater than what caused vibration at the low speed belt setting. As the variable speed control is advanced the vibration appears again near the top speed setting.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Is it likely to not be an issue after the lathe is bolted to a heavy, sturdy stand?

I want to be clear that we are talking about a small amount of vibration. The lathe does not vibrate enough to move around the floor even though it is just sitting there not bolted down or anything. You can just barely feel the vibration at teh low motor speeds and what you really notice at higher speeds is the noise made by vibrating tools on metal shelves a few feet away.

Any advise or comments would be appreciated.

Bernie Weishapl
12-25-2009, 8:40 PM
Congrats on a nice lathe. Paul I would wait till you get your bench built before I would worry or at least have it bolted down on a bench. If you build a solid bench, bolt it down and it still viberates then there would be some concern. I turned on a friend of mines and really like that lathe. My Jet had some vibration but when bolted down it is solid.

Bob Bergstrom
12-25-2009, 9:31 PM
I turned some exotic rosewood at the Chicago wood show and noticed no vibration. I would think there would be some movement if it were not on the factory stand. Bolt it on a @ x12 and clamp the board down. If it vibrates then take it back. It is a solid machine and really was a joy to turn on.

Rick Flink
12-25-2009, 9:53 PM
Paul,

I've had my 46-460 since March and it is sitting on a recycled 36" bathroom vanity. It is not bolted down, and though I very seldom use it on the highest speed pulleys, my lathe does not move, vibrate or shift in any possible way. My suggestion is similar to the others in that you should wait until you get it on whatever type of stand you decide to put it on, bolt it down if necessary, and then check it out for any unusual vibrations.

Merry Christmas and you must have a fantastic wife to be so observant and giving. Lucky fellow!

Rick (mtgrizzly52)

Dan Forman
12-26-2009, 4:03 AM
One quick and easy thing would be to check to make sure the inside surface of the drive belt is clean, and there is nothing on the pulleys that would cause it to bump around.

Dan

Chris Stolicky
12-26-2009, 10:50 AM
I agree that trying it on a perfectly flat bench top may make a difference. I'm not sure what your floor is like, but its possible that it was not sitting perfectly flat. Once it reached a certain harmonic it vibrated.

Don't give up yet, these are really nice little machines. (and I own Jets)

Skip Spaulding
12-26-2009, 10:58 AM
Just a very little pulley misalignment can cause vibration. Enjoy your new lathe!

Paul Williams
12-26-2009, 8:01 PM
Thank you for the good advise. I bolted it to a 2x12 and clamped that to a small bench. That little bit damped out 90% of the vibration. I am sure that it will be perfect when mounted to the heavy stand that I have planed for its permanent location.