PDA

View Full Version : Any reports on the Maloof Rocker???

Carroll Courtney
12-25-2009, 1:12 PM
Few days ago everyone was working on getting tooled up from plans to special bits and others were in the wood selection mode all working towards getting started on the Sam Maloof inspired rocking chairs.I was just wondering if any progess has been made and would love to see some pics and I'm sure other WW'er would also love to see them.For me,it will be the most challenging project that I have ever took on.I do have the "plain old soft maple" waiting for me to get started,but that won't happen till the 1st of next year.I have afew other irons in the fire right now that I need to finish first and this rocker will require all the attention my little ADD stricken brain can handle.So,just wanted to see some inspiration from Brian,Scott and others so lets keep it going----Merry Christmas Carroll

Brian Kent
12-25-2009, 2:30 PM
Carroll,

Just a few minutes ago I got a piece of paper from my sister that says the Whiteside Rabbet and Roundover Bit set are on their way. That is what I have ben waiting for. My seat boards are laid out and dry-fitted with loose tenons.

I have 2 days off next week so I hope to do some good work.

I also have been making a fold-over library step stool and chair. The first was too short so I sold it at a scholarship auction and made this one at 110% plan size. That has kept me going while awaiting the bits.

This set of free videos has been fantastic. It was recommended on one of our rocker threads:
http://www.woodworkingchannel.com/dolphin/vidego_video_library.php

There is about 12 hours of Maloof workshop.

Brian

Richard Dragin
12-25-2009, 3:30 PM
OK Carroll, maybe this will get going....

Here is the new arm to front leg joint. I wouldn't recommend this for your first chair, even with Hal's explicit direction it was not easy. I always felt it was the weak link in the old design and I'm very happy with the new look. You may also notice the front leg splays 6 degrees to match the back leg. Repetition of form and symmetry are really taken into consideration with this design.
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j147/DraginRichard/IMG_0074.jpg

I have to attach and shape the rockers and back splats next. There is still a lot of sculpting to do before the final sanding.

Carroll Courtney
12-25-2009, 3:43 PM
Richard,with your past pics of the chairs that you have built I speak for most we are all amaze at the beauty and how the disappearance of joint lines that you make look seamless.Your right,the front leg tilted back 6 degrees is beyond me.Please keep the pics coming when you get a chance to post,love looking at them,inspiring---Carroll

Jacob Mac
12-26-2009, 3:09 PM
Carroll,

Just a few minutes ago I got a piece of paper from my sister that says the Whiteside Rabbet and Roundover Bit set are on their way. That is what I have ben waiting for. My seat boards are laid out and dry-fitted with loose tenons.

I have 2 days off next week so I hope to do some good work.

I also have been making a fold-over library step stool and chair. The first was too short so I sold it at a scholarship auction and made this one at 110% plan size. That has kept me going while awaiting the bits.

This set of free videos has been fantastic. It was recommended on one of our rocker threads:
http://www.woodworkingchannel.com/dolphin/vidego_video_library.php

There is about 12 hours of Maloof workshop.

Brian

Wow, great link. I have to knock out some bedroom furniture for my wife, but after that, a Maloof rocker is next up on my list. I hate looking past projects, but I am getting really inspired to try my hand at this rocking chair.