PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw mistake

Mark Kelly
10-11-2004, 12:55 PM
Ok, this is very humiliating, but it goes to show we are all human!

The other day I was running a board through my bandsaw (basically ripping a 3/4" maple board.) I didn't notice too much that the kerf closed very tight on itself after I cut it. Since I didn't want to rip the board all the way through, I was going to back out the wood from the blade. Usually, I turn off the saw and do it that way. However, since I was in a hurry (yeah, I know....) and it wasn't backing out when the saw was off, I turned it back on and tried to pull it out. Well, I forced it a little too much and POW! At first thought I thought I broke the blade. However, all that happened was that the blade slipped off the wheels. The blade did suffer some damage in about a 2 inch area where there is now a small kink in the blade. When I reinstalled the blade and ran the blade around with my hands, the blade now wobbles a bit at this kinked area.

A few questions:

1) due to the fact that the blade came off the wheels, did that mean my tension on the blade was too light? Just curious.

2) More importantly, can I hammer out this small kink with a ball/peen hammer on an anvil? It is a bi-metal blade from Lennox.

Dave Shaffer
10-11-2004, 1:39 PM
I have done this myself. Basically what happened is you pulled the blade off the wheels. When you push the guides keep you from pushing the blade off the backend of the wheels. There is nothing to keep you from pulling them off the front.As for the kink in the blade, I have fixed some kinks witha pare of pliers. But some can not be fixed. If it continues to go clackity-clack when you cut through wood, replace it. Most projects are worth much more than the cost of a blade. So dont ruin your project just because you want to get a few more cuts from a bad blade. Just consider it a lesson learned.

Tom LaRussa
10-11-2004, 2:00 PM
Ok, this is very humiliating, but it goes to show we are all human!
Yep. I'm just glad to see that you came out of this one with all fingers attached.

2) More importantly, can I hammer out this small kink with a ball/peen hammer on an anvil? It is a bi-metal blade from Lennox.
I'd call the folks at Lennox and ask them. They might be able to straighten it without messing it up further -- something you may not be able to accomplish at home. Also, they should be able to tell you if the blade is still safe to use at all, or if it needs to be trashed due to metal fatigue, depression, or malaise, (as that famous woodworking former President, Jimmy C, likes to put it).