PDA

View Full Version : Kreg router lift????

Mark Buchanan
12-25-2009, 9:15 AM
Looking for feed back on router lift systems. I am looking to upgrade my old router table and really like the features on the Kreg table. Is the Kreg lift as good as it sounds on-line from their sight. I would like to buy ready to route and not build or modify as seems to be the advice in most of these inquires.

Thanks in advance
Mark

Mike Heidrick
12-25-2009, 9:29 AM
It is a rebranded Woodpecker lift. PRL-V2. I would sign up for the Woodpecker emails and get one from them on sale when it is offered.

http://216.119.73.43/products/images/prd_118.jpg

Alan Bienlein
12-25-2009, 1:19 PM
Just got the PRL-V2 for christmas. Loml got it at woodcraft with a 10% off coupon. Even without the coupon it was still $30 cheaper than the kreg. If you like the features then for you its a good buy.
If you have a woodcraft nearby I would reccomend that you go and check it out in person. Nothing like actually touching the tool you are thinking about getting.

Rick Fisher
12-25-2009, 5:47 PM
Seems like its sold by a bunch of different companies..

glenn bradley
12-26-2009, 1:05 AM
Seems like its sold by a bunch of different companies..

It is one of those items that has been done so well, many folks re-badge it. Woodpecker's sale prices through their emails are pretty darn good sometimes. That's how I finally took the plunge on the PRL I use today.

Matt Meiser
12-26-2009, 10:31 AM
I've got the one with the Pinnacle name on it sitting in my shop ready for me to build a cabinet. I also picked up the Pinnacle top, and my parents just gave me the Woodpecker fence. All of it is incredibly nicely made.

The Kreg version is the last one I'd buy just because the price is so high for the exact same thing--probably because of the extra layer of supply chain it goes through. Nothing against Kreg, but why pay $30-50 more for the exact same item just for the label?

Bill Franklin
12-27-2009, 1:48 AM
I have one on order from Amazon, $300 free shipping. Won't ship until mid January. I called Woodpecker to confirm it is their PRL V2. I already have the Kreg Table so mounting became the issue. (A match with the screw holes in the corners.) If I didn't already have the Kreg table I would have waited for a sale from Woodpecker.

Regards, Bill

brett gallmeyer
12-27-2009, 12:57 PM
i noticed u have the ridgid ts3650. is that a cast iron router table mounted to the right wing??

Just got the PRL-V2 for christmas. Loml got it at woodcraft with a 10% off coupon. Even without the coupon it was still $30 cheaper than the kreg. If you like the features then for you its a good buy.
If you have a woodcraft nearby I would reccomend that you go and check it out in person. Nothing like actually touching the tool you are thinking about getting.

Alan Bienlein
12-27-2009, 2:39 PM
No it's an old aluminum bench router top that I converted to mount on my saw. I just upgraded again this morning and installed my new router lift loml got me for christmas.
I still need to apply the laminate to bothe sides but won't be able to get that till tomorrow.

dave sandridge
01-26-2010, 8:06 PM
I just put the woodpecker prl v2 in my new kreg table and had some vibration with larger bit. Got the woodpecker instead of Kreg because could get it quicker and didn't realize there was a difference. The Kreg lift plate screws into the corner supports of the table and the woodpecker doesn't have holes for these screws. There is no rabbeted shelf for the woodpecker height adjustment screws on the Kreg table. Height is adjusted with the Kreg screws under the plate in the corner. So the Kreg lift is made for the Kreg table and the Woodpecker although fits might have to have counter sunk holes drilled in the corners to reduce vibration. I am going to wait and try other bits. The vibration is enough to change the height of the bit without the brake applied. If I have to drill holes I might take it to a "professional to do it since the woodpecker is so attractive I would hate to make it anything other than the pristine device it is. I could use the Kreg plate for a template to drill the holes. I think the pinnacle also has corner holes fyi.
I also haven't adjusted the tightness of the little pressure balls on the edges of the woodpecker. That might help.
There are two adjustment screws in each corner to adjust height and I tried to get both of them equal

Brad Westcott
02-07-2010, 2:43 PM
Just a side note, the Woodpecker unit is compatible with standard Porter Cable bushing inserts. The Incra unit uses a magnetic insertion plate setup. Woodpecker uses a twist lock insert ring system.

Ran about 1000 board feet through this system over the last couple of months and have been very pleased. +1 on the Milwaukee. Has shown not signs of strain at half speed. Above the table bit changes are a breeze and real pleasure. I do not even have an access door to my router. With this combo, there is no need for one!

Can't wait to start the drawers and doors on a custom kitchen I am building. It is the impetus for this upgrade after my PC died. A few raised panels and dovetail work should provide the final test.