PDA

View Full Version : DC for ROS

Anthony Whitesell
12-25-2009, 9:03 AM
I have a Bosch ROS with the bag on the back. I am wondering if there's a better DC than the bag. And secondly, what are you guys using for capturing the ROS dust. I have both a shopvac and DC available. Could I just connect the ROS to the DC. Would the DC for an ROS need more SP or CFM to work?

P.S. A downdraft table isn't an option the pieces are too big. I would need a downdraft floor instead of a bench.

Jim Becker
12-25-2009, 9:40 AM
For small tools like this, you want the shop vac for dust extraction. You cannot move a lot of air through the very small ports, so the high static pressure and low CFM requirements for the shop vac are more optimal for this application.

glenn bradley
12-25-2009, 9:55 AM
I have the little vac adapter on my Bosch 1295VS and a hose-whip (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=71560&d=1189358318) to my shop vac main hose. I have a valve collar on the vac to lower the suction as at full power it will foul the motion of the pad or suck my sander-sitter off the bench ;-) The main benefit is no dust. the ROS actually suck up loose stuff near its path in addition to any dust it may be making.

Of course, sucking all this stuff up and then ejecting it right back into your shop makes no sense. I have HEPA level CleanStream filters in both my vacs. They really capture the fines and to clean them you just toss them on the grass and hit them with the garden hose.

Anthony Whitesell
12-25-2009, 7:59 PM
OK. Silly question. Where would one find the dust port adapter for a Bosch ROS? I just realized that mine isn't round.

Lee Schierer
12-25-2009, 8:58 PM
I connect my PC ROS to my DC system all the time and it does a pretty far job of picking up the sawdust. I use my 1-1/2 shop vac hose. I had to wrap 3-4 turns of electrical tape around the outlet on the ROS so the nozzle on the shop vac hose would slip on tight.

Anthony Whitesell
12-25-2009, 10:01 PM
My ROS (which I can get the model number of) has the oval port like Glenn's link. My shop vac hose won't flex like that.

Jamie Buxton
12-25-2009, 11:37 PM
My ROS (which I can get the model number of) has the oval port like Glenn's link. My shop vac hose won't flex like that.

I got an adapter from some woodworking catalog that is basically a 3" piece of rubber hose of the correct diameter. It can be round at one end, and oval at the other.

Coulda been http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/feinflexiblestephoseadapter.aspx

glenn bradley
12-26-2009, 12:51 AM
OK. Silly question. Where would one find the dust port adapter for a Bosch ROS? I just realized that mine isn't round.

Not the best price I've seen but:

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-Adapter-Various-Sanders-RS006/dp/B0009H5L5I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1261806669&sr=8-1

David Cefai
12-26-2009, 4:39 AM
I've had some success making my own adaptors in this situation.

Grey PVC pipe, heated with a hot air gun becomes flexible and somewhat stretchable. When it cools it does not seem to become appreciably more brittle.

You can start out with a slightly too small length of pipe. Make a wooden former of the right shape and size, hea the pipe and push it onto the former.

Hint: make the former tapered and don't try to stretch the PVC too much in one go.