PDA

View Full Version : Finishing question, and Season's Greetings

Jamie Straw
12-24-2009, 10:10 PM
In reverse order....first, Happy Holidays and Thanks!! for being here and being so helpful!!

I am curious if anyone uses wet-sanding on small items (such as the bottle stoppers) when finishing open-grained woods. I have used this technique-- sanding with paper wetted with the finish, usually Watco -- on case goods when the lumber is something like Red Oak. The ensuing slurry fills the pores as the finish is laid down.

I made a bottle stopper last night out of an unidentified piece of wood, it's quite orange, and has some open pores. The first thing that came to mind was wet-sanding.

Steve Schlumpf
12-24-2009, 10:25 PM
Jamie - Happy Holidays!

I have used wet sanding with Watco, Antique Oil or wipe-on poly many times and it works well to fill small cracks, pores or whatever and creates a real smooth surface for your final finish.

Bernie Weishapl
12-24-2009, 11:09 PM
Happy Holidays Jamie.

I to have use the wet sanding on some woods with large pores. Makes the final finish go on smooth.

Jeff Nicol
12-25-2009, 7:56 AM
Jamie, The use of wet sanding has been used by many of the great masters of woodworking and wood turning. It is a tried and true process the will make for a very nice smooth dimple free finish. But like all finishing techniques, patience is the key to a truly great finish. So don't rush the drying times and the end result will be wonderful.

Merry Christmas,

Jeff

Jamie Straw
12-25-2009, 1:27 PM
Jamie, The use of wet sanding has been used by many of the great masters of woodworking and wood turning. It is a tried and true process the will make for a very nice smooth dimple free finish. But like all finishing techniques, patience is the key to a truly great finish. So don't rush the drying times and the end result will be wonderful.

Merry Christmas,

Jeff

That's why I didn't "just try it" -- last-minute gifts. But very curious to find out if turners use it. I'll give it a try the next time I turn that wood. Thanks!