PDA

View Full Version : Micro Wave Not So Sharp...

Jim Koepke
12-24-2009, 8:29 PM
Our old micro wave oven stopped waving not to long ago. While we were out and about, we looked at the offerings our local Fred Meyer had and found one that looked good. The manufacture's name is well known and instilled confidence in the purchase. Well, that confidence may have been falsely placed. The micro wave we previously had was not a name brand. Within a month of purchase, it would not turn off. We did receive a replacement at no charge and it did work for a few years.

The first problem with the new micro wave oven was the film over the key pad is very thin and started to bubble, Grrrrrrrrr.

Then, the door would not open without a little help. This can be rather inconvenient when carrying something and there are only two hands on the scene. So, today with a bit of a lull in my normally relaxed life style my brain finally settled on a plan of action. Knowing how things are assembled gave me the confidence to open the door and lightly pull on one side of the piece that one pushes on to open the door. Sure enough, it came loose on that side and did the same on the other side and the whole piece came off.

The picture is how it looks from the bottom side. The spring is not attached and can fall off. Notice the hook on the left side, there is another partially visible on the right side and a few more along the top. The thing the spring is on and the two like it on either side is what pushes on the lever that actuates the door latch. It just wasn't pushing in far enough.

So, if was determined how much more length was needed to get this thing to work and three 1/4 inch dowels were cut and trimmed to sit inside the little actuators. That looked like this.

It worked fine after reassembly. First time I forgot to put the spring back on. After having done this, I walked by the micro wave and noticed the light was on inside. Oops, one more time back to the shop. The dowels were shortened a bit and all was good. I was thinking of gluing the dowels in place, but it does not seem to be necessary.

Beware, this is definitely one of those Your Milage May Vary type of projects.

jim

Dennis McGarry
12-24-2009, 8:33 PM
Nice fix on the door but for the film that isnt the protective film covering that is on there is it? :) :)

Joe Pelonio
12-24-2009, 10:18 PM
Nice fix on the door but for the film that isnt the protective film covering that is on there is it? :) :)

That was my thought too, the film that should be removed after purchase that comes on all electronics.

I think we are on our 4th or 5th microwave, and one thing I do before buying now is to try the door. Some of them are a hassle to open or will wear out fast because of the way they are made.

Jim Koepke
12-25-2009, 2:26 AM
No, we removed the protective film. This is the top layer of the very thin touch control panel.

I am sure they saved a penny or two on each one of the panels made.

jim