PDA

View Full Version : Double sided tape

Dave Garcia
12-24-2009, 8:04 PM
I'm doing some cutouts, using 1/32" bass wood, and would like to piece them together using double sided tape applied to the wood before cutting with my 30 watt laser.

There have been a number of items on this subject in this forum all of which were of some help but not exactly what I needed.

What I'm looking for is 4" or 8" wide double sided tape in rolls, that will work in the laser. I'm currently using 1" wide double sided tape by 3M but this leaves spaces between the strips on both the 4" and 8" wood when covering the wood on one side.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR one and all!

Dave :confused::)
The Wood Block, Ltd

Joe Pelonio
12-24-2009, 8:12 PM
I use 3m 467MP That I get in 6" or 12" rolls from a local supplier, but I'm sure it's available online too.

Mike Null
12-25-2009, 7:20 AM
Johnson Plastics carries it.

Martin Reynolds
12-25-2009, 12:58 PM
I use 3M sheets part number 70016034681. It is an adhesive tape, but supplied in 24x36 sheets with liner on both sides. Costs about $12 for a 24x36 sheets.

You can buy similar stuff at the craft store in about a letter paper size.

I find that the double liner makes handling way easier.

Tony Lenkic
12-25-2009, 1:18 PM
Like Joe and Martin I use 3M 467MP as well as 468MP.
I buy them from local sign supply house in 12" widths. Sheet form is also good idea if you are not using it a lot.

Mark Winlund
12-25-2009, 7:00 PM
I use 3M sheets part number 70016034681. It is an adhesive tape, but supplied in 24x36 sheets with liner on both sides. Costs about $12 for a 24x36 sheets.

You can buy similar stuff at the craft store in about a letter paper size.

I find that the double liner makes handling way easier.

That's what I use. There is a lot of adhesive in that sheet!

Mark

Dave Garcia
12-26-2009, 1:37 PM
Gentlemen,

Thank you very much for all of this great information. I found what I needed at a price I can afford.

Just one additional question. Have any of you had difficulties, when using double sided tape attached to the material before cutting with the laser, not burned completely through the tape? If so, what power and speed settings did you end up using to do away with this problem?

I'm using a 30 watt laser, 1/32" thick by 8" or 12" wide bass wood with 2 mil double sided tape applied to the back of the wood before cutting. Every once in a while it doesn't cut all the way through in random spots. It cuts through the wood but not the tape. Most of the time it does but sometimes it just barely cuts through and I have to use a razor knife to finish the job.

I've used various power and speed settings but must be concerned about the look of the "burn" on the wood so have settled on a power/speed setting that seems to work 95% of the time.

Any help and suggestions you can throw my way would be greatly appreciated.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Dave Garcia :confused::)
The Wood Block, Ltd

Martin Reynolds
12-26-2009, 1:54 PM
I find it makes quite a difference to apply the tape with a squeegee. Voids between thae tape and the wood will be toublesome.

Also, the tape is not so tough that it should make a big difference on the laser cut. It could be small variations in thickness of the wood. I'd try increasing the power a couple of notches.