PDA

View Full Version : dual drum sander problem

tom chapman
12-24-2009, 7:05 PM
i have a general 24 inch dual drum sander . when i put a board through it at right height and speed the belt stops and i have to lower or push the board . if i run the machine (belt only) and place my hands on the conveyer belt it stops fairly easy . ive also notised that the motor for the belt drive kicks up when the belt stops . this is a three year old machine that has always worked fine . any ideas ?

thanks tom

ed vitanovec
12-24-2009, 7:18 PM
The rubber feed belt most likely has stretched. I would adjust the tension and tracking to see if this helps.

Regards!
Ed

Chip Lindley
12-24-2009, 10:08 PM
Your General DS has takeup bearings at one end of the conveyor table that tension the conveyor and keep it tracking straight. I venture to say your belting is not tensioned nearly enough. Something loose, or the belting stretched.

Check for loose roller chain sprockets? (or V-belt pulleys?) on the drive motor and conveyor shaft that may be turning on their shaft under load. Check the conveyor shaft bearings to see that they are not seizing under load. Conveyor bearings on my Grizzly double drum were *babbit* sleeves (no provision for lube) which wore badly over time.

Consult your owner's manual for where and how to make the adjustments.