PDA

View Full Version : What young turner named Curtis....

Ken Fitzgerald
12-24-2009, 7:03 PM
just got accepted into college and engineering school?

Check it out in the Off Topic Forum!

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=128000

Steve Schlumpf
12-24-2009, 7:27 PM
That is great news! Congrats Curtis!

Kenneth Whiting
12-24-2009, 8:23 PM
Great news Curtis. Congratulations!!

Ted Calver
12-24-2009, 9:09 PM
College?? I thought he said ..."3 years at millersville, and then finish up with 2 years at the state penn" :) :) Congratulations Curtis!!

curtis rosche
12-24-2009, 9:23 PM
isnt there a rule i got yelled for once about not posting in more than one forum at a time?:p
took me a couple minutes to realize what you ment Ted, at first i thought i miss typed it.....:D

Ken Fitzgerald
12-24-2009, 9:27 PM
I only posted here Curtis......:rolleyes:

Bernie Weishapl
12-24-2009, 9:59 PM
Congrats Curtis. Proud of you and study hard.

Dan Forman
12-25-2009, 3:24 AM
Congratulations Curtis- will you be close to home, or out in the wide world?

Dan

Jeff Nicol
12-25-2009, 7:53 AM
Curtis, It is a great accomplishment to get accepted to an institute of higher learning, just remember to stay true to yourself and values. Don't do like some of the engineers I know and have worked with over the years, become self important and condescending toward lesser educated. I only speak of this because after 25 years in the construction trades, many, many meetings were had to get some of the engineers, (NOT ALL) to believe the guy doing the work on the jobsite, that their design or idea would not work in the real application.

So listen to the guy who has 10,20,30 years of practical on the job training and you will be a better engineer!

Good luck and have a MERRY MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Jeff

Jeff Rich
12-25-2009, 8:52 AM
I agree with Jeff on that comment!
First congratulations on your acceptance!
Second, I have 20 years of experience in the field installing and at times I think consultants and engineers never step out of their office.
Study hard and keep turning!

curtis rosche
12-25-2009, 10:43 AM
Congratulations Curtis- will you be close to home, or out in the wide world?

Dan
20 minutes away from home for the first 3 years

Pete Jordan
12-25-2009, 5:07 PM
I'm sure you will do great!

David E Keller
12-25-2009, 5:45 PM
Congratulations... Might cut into your turning time a little. Best of luck.

Jack Mincey
12-25-2009, 6:57 PM
Congratulations Curtis, I can't wait to see what a great lathe you will design after obtaining a degree in engineering. The best of luck to you in your next life adventure.
Jack

Chris Stolicky
12-25-2009, 7:50 PM
To the Jeff comments above....

Thankfully, Curtis is a turner (i.e. one who's not afraid to get his hands dirty and work hard - remember that huge maple?) and understands how to do things with his hands. I am an engineer and grew up doing construction work. I was always told that I would be, "an engineer who knew how to put a nail a wall." - There is a lot to that statement = its makes you much more than book smart! I made it a goal to truly understand how things worked, not just what a book or computer says. I agree that it is very important to listen to those with experience.

Anyway, congrats Curtis. Penn State is a good school. Just remember that it takes a lot of hard work, but its worth it.