PDA

View Full Version : egg nog disappointment

keith ouellette
12-24-2009, 6:04 PM
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I love egg nog. I mean to an abnormal extent. I allow myself 2 quarts per year. one for thanksgiving and one for Christmas. All of the Winn dixies in my area are out of Gustafson's egg nog. The best egg nog on the planet. All I could find is some sugar cookie egg nog made by Hood at publix.

Its horrible. Ok maybe not horrible but its really nothing more than sweet milk. They sacrificed flavor for profit by just adding a bunch of sugar. I figured it wouldn't be very thick and creamy because it was only 180 cal per 4oz serving which means its watered down.

Yes a stupid thing to be mad about but I really want some good egg nog. I've been looking forward to my Christmas eve egg nog for months and my thanksgiving egg nog wasn't much better.

curtis rosche
12-24-2009, 6:14 PM
heres the new thing to get over how bad the eggnog is: add jagermeister to it. you will either hate it and not care anymore how bad the regular eggnog is, or you will love it

JohnT Fitzgerald
12-24-2009, 6:21 PM
heres the new thing to get over how bad the eggnog is: add jagermeister to it. you will either hate it and not care anymore how bad the regular eggnog is, or you will love it

+1 !!!!!

OK, so Jag is not my favorite, so maybe a little rum instead....and you can always add a little cinnamon too, for a little more flavor.

Ted Calver
12-24-2009, 6:24 PM
When the going gets tough, the tough get going!!! Make your own and start a new tradition :)

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/eggnog-recipe2/index.html

Michael Schwartz
12-24-2009, 6:58 PM

Jag in egg nog, might as well drink it with a healthy serving of Pine-Sol. I wonder what the story is behind this.

Jim Koepke
12-24-2009, 8:47 PM

If it is good eggnog, it doesn't need anything else. Jagermeister is good enough all by itself to not need anything but a frozen glass and some crushed ice. When there is Jagermeister in my house, it stays in the freezer.

Really good eggnog can not be sold because most states health departments will not allow an unpasteurized dairy product to be sold to the public.

If the eggs are fresh and washed before cracking and the whites are allowed to sit in a refrigerator for at least 24 hours before being whipped, the chance of salmonella should be eliminated. Here is a recipe that everyone that has tried it thought it was the best they have ever had. It takes a couple of days to make. Most of the time is for cooling and waiting. I always sample it before anyone else gets to try it.

This is not that difficult to do, just time consuming and if you let the yolk mixture over heat, the whole thing can be ruined.

This recipe for Egg Nog needs a double boiler (easy to rig from two pots) and uses raw eggs. If you can not digest raw eggs or are concerned about the safety of the eggs, then it may be best to buy a pasteurized product.

The ingredients:
3/4-Cups sugar
10-eggs separated (make sure that there is no yolk in the whites or they will not whip properly) (It is also recommended to remove the little membranes that floats around in the whites. This does not have to be done, but I do not like little lumps in my eggnog.)
4-Cups whole milk (scalded) (Extra rich milk works too.)
1/2-tsp salt
1-Cup heavy cream (whipped)
Vanilla to taste
Nutmeg
Optional: Rum or Brandy

The procedure:
Scald the milk, be careful not to burn. This is done by heating the milk to a point just below a boil. It must be stirred constantly, when it starts to form a layer of bubbles, and the surface looks satin like, remove from heat and set aside. In top of the double boiler combine 1/2-Cup of sugar with egg yolks. Set the heat to below a boil. Slowly stir in the scalded milk. Stir constantly (do not stop stirring even for a second!!!) making sure to drag the spoon across the bottom (a wooden spoon with an end flattened at an angle works great), until the mixture thickens enough to coat the spoon lightly. It is better to do this with the heat too low than too high. This can take a lot of patience. Remove from heat and chill thoroughly, in the refrigerator over night is good.

When the yolk mixture is chilled, add salt (1/2 tsp.) to the whites and beat until thick, gradually mix in the sugar (remaining 1/4 Cup). The thickness of the whites is what determines the texture of the finished drink. It can vary from a delicate smooth texture to thick froth. This is a time when having two mixers is very handy. It is best to use a ladle to transfer the whites into the yolks. this helps to make sure all the whites get whipped. As the whites are being poured into the yolks, fold the mixture. If using an electric mixer use on the lowest setting. If further whipping of the whites is needed be sure to wash the beaters if they have been in contact with the yolks. In a chilled bowl whip the cream to a consistency to match the egg whites. Blend in to the mixture. The mixture can be chilled in a freezer for an hour, and then set in a refrigerator until serving time. When serving take care to remix as the ingredients will separate. this is done easily with a ladle picking up some of the beverage and pouring it back into the mixture and repeating until it is of an even texture.

Enjoy,

jim

Jim Kountz
12-24-2009, 11:26 PM
I can relate, every year for ever it seems I always enjoyed the swiss cheese logs from Hickory Farms. Well for some stupid reason just this year they discontinued the item altogether. I was heartbroken when I went to get my favorite Christmas treat and it was no more!!

Matt Meiser
12-25-2009, 12:52 PM
All of the Winn dixies in my area are out of Gustafson's egg nog. The best egg nog on the planet.

Hmmmm...I bet Calder Dairy (http://www.calderdairy.com/) would challenge that claim. :D I can't drink anything else now. But you pretty much have to cut theirs with something. First of all, at $6/pint you want it to go a little farther. And its so thick it would be tough to drink otherwise. My dad raised me to cut it with ginger ale.

David Fairfield
12-25-2009, 4:39 PM
Anyone ever had egg liquor?

http://www.vinceremos.co.uk/organicwine/info_422.html

Pretty wierd stuff, not sure what it is really, but its got egg in it.

Dave

Michael Weber
12-25-2009, 4:57 PM
Watched Martha Stewart make egg nog a couple days ago. WOW! She recommended only 1 cup per person and after watching what see put in it I have to agree. Had at least 3 kinds of Liquor including Crown Royal. She insisted only 'good stuff' be used. :rolleyes:

Phil Thien
12-25-2009, 6:15 PM
Eggnog is fattening. I cut mine with this:

http://www.oldripvanwinkle.com

Dennis McGarry
12-25-2009, 7:35 PM
Christians Brother Egg Nog... mmmmmm Good!!! With a kick!

Bill Cunningham
12-26-2009, 9:28 PM
I can relate, every year for ever it seems I always enjoyed the swiss cheese logs from Hickory Farms. Well for some stupid reason just this year they discontinued the item altogether. I was heartbroken when I went to get my favorite Christmas treat and it was no more!!

I get some Hickory Farms conglomoration every year or so...Do People 'really' eat that stuff? I kinda thought it was like the circulating fruit cake! It always seems to stay wrapped in it's plastic covered basket. That is, until someones adventurous enough to think it might be food, takes a gingerly bite of some kind of smoke stained mystery meat that's been sitting on a shelf collecting dust for what always seems to be far to long to still be edible.. Being able to swallow it is a whole different task. That's just the meat. I've never actually seen anyone eat the cheese! But then that's just me, and I LOVE fruit cake!