PDA

View Full Version : A few of my latest pens taken with New camera

Dennis McGarry
12-24-2009, 5:35 PM
Here are a few of the latest pens I turned, took this pic with my new Nikon d40x camera. Starting to like a nice Dslr camera!!!

Thanks guys and Merry X-mas to everyone..

Ken Fitzgerald
12-24-2009, 5:38 PM
Dennis.....Beautiful pens all! Nicely done.

The camera...the D40X Nikon. I bought that for my wife for our trip to New Zealand this time last year. Wonderful camera!

Dennis McGarry
12-24-2009, 5:48 PM
Dennis.....Beautiful pens all! Nicely done.

The camera...the D40X Nikon. I bought that for my wife for our trip to New Zealand this time last year. Wonderful camera!

So far for a entry level Dslr it is a beauty! All the reviews on it have been astonding. I got it with the 18-55mm kit lens, and a nice nikon bag for 350.00 with only 2800 shutter openings on it..

Bernie Weishapl
12-24-2009, 6:45 PM
Dennis those are beauties. Really well done and nice pic's.

Steve Schlumpf
12-24-2009, 7:30 PM
Great looking pens! Excellent photo!

Kenneth Whiting
12-24-2009, 8:17 PM
Those are some nice pens. Nice pic too.

Richard Madison
12-24-2009, 11:54 PM
Nice pens Dennis. You didn't ask, but suggest that you back off and zoom in with the lens to get a bit more depth of field.

Cliff Holmes
12-25-2009, 5:34 AM
Nice pens Dennis. You didn't ask, but suggest that you back off and zoom in with the lens to get a bit more depth of field.

Yep, stepping up to SLR cameras is both wonderful and a bit confusing. Learning the basics of the relationship of shutter speed, aperture, and focal length and their effects on stuff like blur, DOF, etc is well worth the effort.

And welcome to Club Nikon :)

Nice pens, too.

Scott Donley
12-25-2009, 11:33 AM
You have been busy. Nice job on the pens. If I may ask, where did you pick up the D40x for that kind of price ?

Bill Bulloch
12-25-2009, 1:15 PM
Nice job on both the pens and picture. What is the pen in the middle, on the Right, made of? I like that one best.

Richard Madison
12-25-2009, 2:39 PM
Scott, you might try B&H. They usually have a large selection of used cameras.

Dave Rudy
12-26-2009, 1:58 PM
The largest selection of used cameras is at keh.com. Adorama also has some. Craigs list and online forums are other places to look.

David Walser
12-26-2009, 3:40 PM
You have been busy. Nice job on the pens. If I may ask, where did you pick up the D40x for that kind of price ?

...because all you Nikon and Canon users would lose.;)

Anyway, Scott, if you're looking for a DSLR, take a serious look at Pentax's new K-x. It just got a rave review from Digital Photography Review (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxkx/). It's a bit more money than the Nikon D40X, but it's up a notch or two in DSLR quality levels (the K-x compares with the Nikon D5000 and the Canon EOS 500D). Unlike the comparable Nikon and Canon cameras, the Pentax is built on a full metal frame and, in general, has more features for a bit less money. It may be the best value in mid-entry level DSLRs right now (which will change when the next models are released in a month or two). I'd buy the K-x to replace my K10D if I weren't saving my pennies for a K-7.

Dennis McGarry
12-26-2009, 4:34 PM
Thanks again guys.

Richard Madison: Your right I didnt ask..... But thanks! I am still reading and reading and playing around with it trying to figure out the whole thing. I will try backing off some and using the zoom more. The whole Dof is something I really want to understand better. Really want to be able to take the kind of pics that has the subject sharply forcused and the bakground blur'd

I got it off a member on IAP, had just under 2700 shutter openings on it as well.

That pen in the middle is called yellow whirl, it came from Exotic blanks. It is the exact blank used in this pen.. http://www.conwaystewart.com/product_info.php?cPath=37_42&products_id=54&osCsid=f431edb19be6857ebf111331dea4ad9f

:) I am proud of that pen!

David E Keller
12-26-2009, 5:48 PM
Nice pic of nice pens.