PDA

View Full Version : thought i would let you know.....

curtis rosche
12-24-2009, 5:21 PM
well after the other thread on college that i started i thought it might be nice to let you guys know. i just received a leter today saying that i was accepted to millersville for their engineering program, 3 years at millersville, and then finish up with 2 years at penn state
:D:):D:)

Ken Fitzgerald
12-24-2009, 5:24 PM
Congratulations Curtis!

It is more important today than it was when I was a teen to get a good education! Some sacrifices made today for a good education will pay off interest for the rest of your life!

Again Congratulations!

Gary Herrmann
12-24-2009, 6:56 PM
Good for you Curtis. Congrats. As my engineer wife stands behind me smiling...

Tony De Masi
12-24-2009, 7:18 PM
Congratulations Curtis. The ride is just barely beginning.

Tony

JohnT Fitzgerald
12-24-2009, 7:23 PM
Hey Curtis, congrats!!!

Steve Schlumpf
12-24-2009, 7:27 PM
Excellent news Curtis! I am proud of you!

Jeffrey Makiel
12-24-2009, 7:33 PM
Good for you!

It's a difficult field, but it has its rewards at graduation.

-Jeff :)

John Keeton
12-24-2009, 8:18 PM
Congrats, Curtis!! Your woodworking background will probably help more than you know!

Jim Koepke
12-24-2009, 8:25 PM
Study hard and don't give up.
Find out what the instructors want and give it to them.

My college education helped me with employment in at least two different fields. First in graphic arts and then technical fields. Believe it or not, the two are more related than you think. Even in the days before computer graphics.

jim

Carlos Alden
12-24-2009, 9:03 PM
Curtis:

The best advice I was ever given about college was this -

Work hard and play hard. Sounds like you are already on the right track with this philosophy.

Carlos

Bernie Weishapl
12-24-2009, 9:59 PM
Congrats Curtis. Ken pretty much summed up my feelings exactly.

Richard Madison
12-24-2009, 11:39 PM
Well done Curtis!

Kirk Miller
12-25-2009, 4:46 AM
Listen to Bernie Curtis. I always played hard, then tried to work hard it doesn't work out so good. Work hard and there will be plenty of time to play hard later. Congrats

Leo Voisine
12-25-2009, 8:47 AM
Curtis,

Engineering is hard - I know - I am an enginer.

But - it is rewarding.

It will certainly help you with your woodworking - though - your thought pattern might be a little different than the average "woodworker".

All I can offer up is --- stick to it -- don't quit when it gets hard, and it will get hard. Go ALL the way. Get at least a BS degree - better to get the masters. Don't settle for an AS degree.

We NEED lots and lots more engineers in this country.

Jim Becker
12-25-2009, 9:26 AM
Congratulations, Curtis!!! That's wonderful news. Millersville is an excellent school and what else can I say about Penn State? I'm an alumni! :D :D :D (The engineering school at PSU is top-notch, too)

Nathan Hawkes
12-25-2009, 1:38 PM
Congrats, Curtis!! Wonderful news! merry christmas!

Mark Stutz
12-25-2009, 1:50 PM
Congratulations, Curtis. You should be proud...and I know your parents are! As a father of a son just completing his Masters in Mech. Engineering, I've seen first hand what he has accomplished. Yes, it's not easy, but then most things in life that are worth something don't come easy.

Glenn Clabo
12-25-2009, 4:34 PM
Curtis,
Nice work. I believe you are starting on an adventure that will end up in a very rewarding career.

I've been surrounded by some of the countries best engineers my whole career. They are the people who create the designs and redesigns of the most complicated and expensive single piece of machinery the world has...nuclear submarines. It takes a unique person to do the engineering required to make them perform and be safe for the crews to operate. What you are about to take on will give you the foundation that they use daily. I hope...as you move on through your education...that you realize that someday you may have the lives of many people in your hands when you use that education AND your good sense.

Dennis Peacock
12-25-2009, 7:34 PM
Congrats to ya Curtis..!!!!!
Real happy for ya. Do us all real proud now...ya hear.??!!!? :)

James Roberts
12-25-2009, 7:56 PM
Congratulations Curtis, on your acceptance to school. Now the hard work begins but the rewards will last a lifetime.

Chris Kennedy
12-25-2009, 8:34 PM
Congratulations!

As a college prof, I'm going to echo what has been said so far. Work hard, especially in engineering. No one is going to give you a break. There will be people who will tell you that college is nothing like the real world, and they are right. College in engineering and sciences is much harder than the real world. It's a challenge, but the benefits last a lifetime.

Cheers,

Chris

Rob Cunningham
12-26-2009, 9:06 AM
Congratulations Curtis, that's fantastic news. It will be a lot of hard work but well worth it. Stay focused and you'll be fine.

George Guadiane
12-26-2009, 10:52 AM
Find out what the instructors want and give it to them.
jim

If I could have had (and taken) one good piece of advice, that would have been it.

Congratulations!

Dan Friedrichs
12-26-2009, 11:35 AM
Congratulations! You've made a great choice.

Having recently been through (and taught at) engineering school, my two most valuable pieces of advice:

1. Do absolutely PERFECT on the first few homework assignments you turn in. Consciously or not, the instructor WILL mentally begin to "rank" you, and if he/she thinks you are one of the smart ones, will cut you some slack in future assignments.

2. No McDonalds. Don't eat it, because it's bad for you, but more importantly, don't work there. Or anywhere that doesn't have some direct implication for your future career. Too many students sacrifice their grades to work 30hrs/wk for minimum wage while in college. Why do that? Average starting salaries for engineers are ~$50k. It's simply not worth it to work minimum wage (or work study). If you have free time, study harder or take more classes to finish sooner.

Good luck!