PDA

View Full Version : Just in time for Christmas! Walnut night stand

Shawn Christ
12-24-2009, 5:13 PM
Just finished this up today for my mother-in-law for Christmas.

Nightstand made out of black walnut and designed to match an existing bedroom set she bought in the 60s. I was worried about shaping that handle but it was easier than I expected, thanks to my spindle sander.

The cabinet sides and back are plywood. The top, drawer, drawer supports, and bottom trim are solid black walnut. The solid wood had lots of color and appeared to be air-dried while the plywood was dull and colorless, due to the kiln drying I presume. I was pleased how well the colors blended after finishing, which consisted of boiled linseed oil (BLO) followed by three coats (four on top) of premixed amber shellac. Boy, that stuff is nice to work with and really makes the wood glow!

She asked me to make her a nightstand a year ago, but I think she has since forgotten about it. This should have special meaning for her because my father-in-law (her husband) was killed in a farm accident two years ago. This wood belonged to him; it was stored in his barn.

I am pleased with the finish but next time I may try to fill the pores just so the solid wood surface better matches the plywood surfaces. Not sure how to do that. I may try to add a coat of wax to the top to make it even smoother.

John Keeton
12-24-2009, 5:55 PM
Nice work, Shawn, and I bet you get bonus points with the mother in law - never a bad idea!! Kinda neat with the history of the wood - that should give the nightstand special meaning.

gary Zimmel
12-25-2009, 12:10 AM
Great Xmas present Shawn.
I'm sure your mother-in-law will love it.

Jim Kountz
12-25-2009, 9:04 AM
Nice job and it looks like you should score some points with the MIL!!

John Thompson
12-25-2009, 9:52 AM
Very nice job and I am sure she will be thrilled Shawn...

Thomas Pender
12-25-2009, 6:52 PM
Your execution is nice - the wood is nice, the design is good, and so is your finish. I like how good a job you did with your pictures.

Shawn Christ
12-25-2009, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the kind words everybody, and Merry Christmas!

Our trip has been delayed a day due to the midwest snow storm, so this morning I decided to play around with rubbing out the top. I wasn't completely happy with it before, a little too glossy and a bit of orange-peel.

I took some tips from Jeff Jewitt's Finishing and flattened the top with P800 sandpaper on my 1/4 sheet sander. I vacuumed and removed all dust with mineral spirits. I then dampened a 3M synthetic 0000 steel wool pad with mineral spirits and applied a couple coats of Johnson's paste wax. Whoa - I am so much happier now! Much smoother and now a satin/semigloss finish too.

My wife topped off the gift with a big red bow and a heartfelt poem about where the wood came from. I can't wait to see her mom's face...

Danny Hamsley
12-26-2009, 7:46 AM
That is a special gift, made even more special because of the source of the wood.

Matt Armstrong
12-27-2009, 2:36 AM
We gotta hear her reaction when you get back...

Shawn Christ
12-29-2009, 11:31 AM
Oooooohhh, I scored big with this one! She didn't even make it halfway through the poem before she realized what was under the blanket and started balling. She absolutely loved it, and her reaction was priceless.

I was pleased with how well the proportions matched using only pictures (no measurements) for reference. The color of the walnut is much darker than the original pieces, but hey, they are 40 years old and had a lot of time to lighten.

Tim Livingston
12-29-2009, 2:03 PM
Very nice, love the color with the amber shellac.

Ed Taylor Greensboro NC
12-29-2009, 2:25 PM
Beautiful grain match on the top. How many pieces were joined?

Shawn Christ
12-30-2009, 12:12 AM
Actually four pieces were joined with biscuits to make the top: a wide center piece, a medium front piece, and two narrow rear pieces. I had wider stock but was trying to avoid knots and imperfections in order to match the clear grain on her existing furniture. I was also trying to use up cutoffs :p. I did the edge jointing on the table saw.

Marshall Border
12-30-2009, 7:31 AM
Shawn : this is a jewel of a project for sure . Without a doubt in anyones mine that you made more points than you think...for I'm a Walnut man .....real fine work......Marshall :D