PDA

View Full Version : A different turning project...............

Ken Fitzgerald
12-24-2009, 3:46 PM
One of the guys who operates an MR scanner at a local regional medical center asked me to turn something for him......and it's different.......if it turns out...I'll post photos...if not...I'll delete this thread...:eek::rolleyes:

It is the wood handle for the shifter on the Jaguar he bought recently and is restoring.....

This should be interesting!

Ken Fitzgerald
12-24-2009, 5:27 PM
Dick,

It is actually a 2 piece..horizontal device. One piece has a piece of metric bolt sticking out. The other will have the mating metric nut. They screw together horizontally threw the shifting lever.

And yes...the bolt and the nut will be epoxied into their respective parts.

John Keeton
12-24-2009, 5:28 PM
....if it turns out...I'll post photos...if not...I'll delete this thread...:eek::rolleyes:The awesome power of a mod!!:D

When I looked, 45 views already Ken. Too many witnesses to this prelude - you have to post now!

What kind of wood are you using?

Ken Fitzgerald
12-24-2009, 5:35 PM
John...I'm toying with the idea of using some African blackwood that has both white and black in it. Other wise,...I might got with walnut.

John Keeton
12-24-2009, 5:50 PM
Does the interior have any wood trim? If not, maybe check on the color of upholstery, etc. The blackwood sounds nice, though!

Richard Madison
12-24-2009, 6:24 PM
Walnut is traditional.

Bernie Weishapl
12-24-2009, 6:31 PM
Heck Ken no step for a stepper. I agree with Richard that walnut is traditional wood used. I would be careful of african blackwood as it can be pretty cracky. I did 6 bottle stoppers and 3 cracked on me with blackwood from woodcraft.

Otherwise I don't see you having a problem with that.

Steve Schlumpf
12-25-2009, 4:14 PM
Looking forward to seeing the finished shift handle! Sounds like a fun project! Do you get to take it for a test run to make sure it works properly? I would make sure that was part of the deal!

Pete Jordan
12-25-2009, 5:04 PM
I would try birdseye maple.

Good Luck!

David E Keller
12-25-2009, 5:37 PM
I like the idea of walnut, but I would use curly or burly walnut for sure. Nothing wrong with the plain stuff, but for a focal point like that, I go for something with a lot of figure.

Looking forward to seeing it

Skip Spaulding
12-26-2009, 11:08 AM
I can't believe it won't look great and be a perfict fit! You'll stay with it to the end. Just waiting for the pictures:)

kenneth walker
12-26-2009, 11:35 AM
I must agree with steve a test drive is a must to make sure it is fitted right.:cool:

bob edwards
12-26-2009, 12:17 PM
I agree with Pete. As I remember the wood in the Jags it is a honey colored burl.
Share a photo when you are finished!!

Gary Herrmann
12-26-2009, 3:50 PM
I'm sure it will turn out great, Ken. I must have been thinking about shifters when I first started turning bottlestoppers becuase they tended to have that look.