PDA

View Full Version : thinning epoxy

curtis rosche
12-24-2009, 2:27 PM
is there anything else that can be used to this epoxy for filling in cracks? i know you can use DNA, but i dont have any of that right now, and dont feel like getting more anytime with in the next 2 weeks. can rubbing alcohol be used the same way?

Maylon Harvey
12-24-2009, 2:51 PM
I use acatone

curtis rosche
12-24-2009, 3:32 PM
is acatone the same as nailpolish remover?

Mike Lipke
12-24-2009, 3:51 PM
NP remover is some acetone, with some oils.
Better for cuticles, worse for cementing.

Dan Forman
12-24-2009, 4:27 PM
Heating it up with a hairdryer (once its is mixed) will thin it some. It will also speed up the hardening process, so act quickly. I put it on the piece first, then hit it with the hair dryer. It doesn't make it runny, but it will thin out to the point that it will seep into cracks.

Dan

Jon Finch
12-24-2009, 4:40 PM
Technically speaking, you really shouldn't thin epoxy with anything if you want it to retain it's strength. But as you all know from experience, DNA seems to work ok with epoxy for filling voids.

If you want thin epoxy buy a laminating epoxy. It's almost water thin. I use quite a bit of West Systems (http://www.westsystem.com/ss/) brand epoxy in my other hobby (RC airplanes) and it's very thin (but a bit expensive since they don't sell it by the ounce :) ). Although you should be able to go into your local hobby store and buy an oz or two of "laminating" epoxy. Not the thick 5 min stuff.

Jim Silva
12-24-2009, 4:44 PM
NP remover is some acetone, with some oils.
Better for cuticles, worse for cementing.

Nail Polish remover works better for cleaning up epoxy than it does thinning it because of the added oils Mike mentioned. It'll just prevent the epoxy from bonding/activating properly.

Acetone and DNA (in that order) have worked for me but rubbing alcohol is iffy I'd think as it contains a good deal of water. It'll thin the epoxy but it'll kill the strength and may not harden enough. I've never had the need to test it though so I could be completely wrong.

curtis rosche
12-24-2009, 4:50 PM
im useing the "self leveling epoxy" that you would normally use for countertops and such. it might be runny enough by itself, i just wanted to know if there were other options, thank you for your help.
the peice i am going to use it on doesnt really need the extra strength it just looks out of place with the empty crack

Dick Strauss
12-24-2009, 5:13 PM
xylol/xylene works quite well for thinning epoxy if you want good wood penetration.

curtis rosche
12-24-2009, 5:17 PM
what is xylol/xylene? and is it easily found?

Thom Sturgill
12-24-2009, 6:19 PM
ONYX sells a 100% acetone nail polish remover available at WalMart, depending on local laws, you may have to be 18 to buy it.

Bernie Weishapl
12-24-2009, 6:36 PM
Don't use nail polish remover. It does not work. Don't ask me how I know.:mad: Does well in removing it. DNA works the best that I have forund.

Dick Strauss
12-25-2009, 12:05 AM
Curtis,
Xylol/xylene is available at most paint stores including the big boxes. My friend ran tests and found that the xylol/epoxy mix penetrated wood better than acetone/epoxy, DNA/epoxy, or lacquer thinner/epoxy mixes. I don't know the reason but that was the result when applied on identical wood.

Harvey Mushman
12-25-2009, 9:13 AM
If you are just filling cracks, you could always use the old CA/turquoise trick....Or CA/sawdust trick. The turquoise application always gets some attention and most people think its a great idea. The sawdust route, on the other hand, can look like an attempt to hide something, a patch job, if you will. I always like to accent rather than hide.

A little more info would be helpful such as the size of the crack and what kind of piece you are working on.

ron hossack
12-25-2009, 3:02 PM
I use 70% or 90% isopropyl to cut 30 minute epoxy so I can paint it on spalted blanks to turn. Cheap and it works.

Brian Effinger
12-26-2009, 10:55 AM
Curtis,
Xylol/xylene is available at most paint stores including the big boxes. My friend ran tests and found that the xylol/epoxy mix penetrated wood better than acetone/epoxy, DNA/epoxy, or lacquer thinner/epoxy mixes. I don't know the reason but that was the result when applied on identical wood.
Just be carefull with xylene. It is very toxic. I've used it before to clean up after using commercial grade paints and found it eats through plastic containers.

Dick Strauss
12-26-2009, 11:23 AM
Good point Brian!

Curtis,
Be careful to avoid skin contact with xylene, especially after it is mixed with the epoxy.

ron hossack
12-26-2009, 1:40 PM
im useing the "self leveling epoxy" that you would normally use for countertops and such.
I should have read further and seen this ...

I use this for covering my guide threads on my fly rods and I thin with acetone.