PDA

View Full Version : paranormal tv shows

keith ouellette
12-24-2009, 9:08 AM
Has anyone else noticed the explosion of tv shows revolving around the para normal. I thought things were getting crazy when a british woman was psychic linking to dogs a few years ago (the dog whisperer?) but now there are reality ghost shows on every channel and haunted histories. I think There was even one on disney channel. I just saw another advertised to revolve around teen agers but didn't note which station it was. There was even a ghost hunter academy, I never saw it but was told about it.

And then there are all the non reality shows like ghost whisperer, My wife's favorite show (ug)

Has there ever been an explosion of para normal interest like this before or is it all just my imagination.

My favorite show is 'Psyche' by the way.

Pat Germain
12-24-2009, 9:57 AM
I have noticed this. I don't know why such shows are so popular. So be it as long as it's presented as fiction. What really burns my britches are people who claim to actually have psychic powers or the ability to talk to the dead. It's completely bogus and just not right to profit from people's loss and grief.

Brian Effinger
12-24-2009, 10:19 AM
Even the commercials for this crap gets me going. That and "reality" TV. What a load of crap! This is why I watch very little TV these days.
How about something scripted guys?

Matt Walton
12-24-2009, 10:31 AM
Gotta love Psych.
"Even the water's spicy"
"Who does that?"
And I agree, it's stupid. History Channel just needs to change their name to Conspiracy Channel.

Steve Rozmiarek
12-24-2009, 11:28 AM
Yes, I have too. I hate it, and when one of the commercials comes on, no matter how much I like the show I might be watching, I change the channel. Same thing for spook movie previews. That stupid crap is not allowed in my house.

Carlos Alden
12-24-2009, 11:36 AM
I have noticed this. I don't know why such shows are so popular. So be it as long as it's presented as fiction. What really burns my britches are people who claim to actually have psychic powers or the ability to talk to the dead. It's completely bogus and just not right to profit from people's loss and grief.

I knew you were going to write that. :)

Carlos

Stephen Tashiro
12-24-2009, 2:38 PM
I enjoy the nutcase kind of shows every now and then. I've stopped watching TV at all. On radio, there is "Coast To Coast", which has long intervals of commercials. On the web, there is the Peswiki which has getting more and more nutty and has the typical Google Ads. One cannot escape the advertising in any medium.

keith ouellette
12-24-2009, 3:07 PM
I enjoy the nutcase kind of shows every now and then. I've stopped watching TV at all. On radio, there is "Coast To Coast", which has long intervals of commercials. On the web, there is the Peswiki which has getting more and more nutty and has the typical Google Ads. One cannot escape the advertising in any medium.

A while back I used to listen to coast to coast with the original host. I thought of it as a twilight zone type show. I never took it serious and didn't think anyone else did either but I guess a lot of people do. I listened to a re run of coast to coast from the 90's a couple of months ago. It had a 'psycic' on who made all kinds of predictions for the time around 2000. none of them came true.

Neal Clayton
12-24-2009, 3:49 PM
Even the commercials for this crap gets me going. That and "reality" TV. What a load of crap! This is why I watch very little TV these days.

writers and actors cost money. 4 yahoos with a tent and a camera don't cost much at all...

even most of the reality shows and game shows aren't original. if you watch top gear and see the ads for BBC's low budget crap, you'll start to notice that they come up with it first and ABC just puts a washed up comedian on the same show as the host and calls it "new".

Rick Potter
12-26-2009, 3:06 AM
Well, the only reality show I watch (note I didn't say we) is The Amazing Race. It has taken us to a lot of places you don't usually see on TV, Like Estonia, and a couple of the Khazakistan and a couple other 'Stans.

I have learned several things, like..taxi drivers are universal, EVERYBODY has better trains than we do, some former Soviet block countries seem to be better off than I had thought, and India is not someplace I ever want to visit.

Rick Potter

Chris S Anderson
12-26-2009, 9:33 AM
I only watch family guy and the discovery channel. Man vs Wild is great. The dude drank his own pee out of a dead snake carcass and ate so many things that would normally make me want to hurl, but now I'm ok with it.

Paranormal shows had a huge resurgence in the early 80s or sometime when I was a preteen. I remember Ripleys Believee it or not and all those That's Incredible and Amazing People shows always had a psychic or someone who could move an object or bend a spoon with their minds while sitting in a triangle.

I always wondered why God would give someone the not-so-awesome power of bending spoons with your mind.

Darius Ferlas
12-26-2009, 9:39 AM
I also noticed an explosion of the paranormal on TV. First it was FOX and then it permeated throughout the entire TV. That's why I stopped watching the news, and eventually gave up TV altogether.

Rory Talkington
12-26-2009, 2:51 PM
Remember the Nightstalker series from the 70s? Or the Twilight Zone? Seems like ther has always been an interest in "paranormal" from our media sources.

To me, Man vs Food is paranormal. You see what that guy eats?:D

Roger Pozzi
12-26-2009, 5:14 PM
I thought ALL reality shows were scripted. If not, then I'm a whole lot better off than I thought. :p:p

keith ouellette
12-26-2009, 6:37 PM
I also noticed an explosion of the paranormal on TV. First it was FOX and then it permeated throughout the entire TV. That's why I stopped watching the news, and eventually gave up TV altogether.

Remember the Nightstalker series from the 70s? Or the Twilight Zone? Seems like ther has always been an interest in "paranormal" from our media sources.

To me, Man vs Food is paranormal. You see what that guy eats?:D

Speaking of fox... You reminded me that Bill Oriley has a body language segment on some of his shows. Thats news?

and i loved twilight zone. I've seen all of them but nobody ever tried to pretend twilight zone or its lower budget cousin, the outer limits, was real.

Now I'm supposed to believe some one is talking with dead spirits who's name may or may not start with a G, anybody know a dead guy who's name began with g. Maybe it was a B or a C or something.

Pat Germain
12-27-2009, 1:11 PM
One of my wife's coworkers was on "Wife Swap" a few years ago. In her episode, the husbands were switched. The coworker reported the producers changed things around and edited the show in way which made situations seem somewhat different than actually happened. Although she didn't regret doing the show, she said all she got out of it was a table and a lamp the producer bought and put in her house.

I talked to someone online who worked on the HGTV "House Hunters" program. He said in every case the couple has already bought their house before taping begins. The producer simply finds two other properties for the couple to look at.

I talked to another guy online who was going to be on a decorating reality show. The producer insisted on placing an obnoxious rug in his entryway. The guy I talked to was supposed to insist the rug was great in a staged effort to create conflict and drama. He passed on doing the show and told the producer to take a hike.