PDA

View Full Version : carbide insert tools, yes or no

Roger Bullock
12-24-2009, 7:11 AM
I have been reading about the carbide insert tips on turning tools, what I have read sound favorable, but before I purchase, I would like to hear your pro's and con's.

Norm Zax
12-24-2009, 8:16 AM
Very useful option for the purpose of getting close to the final shape:
Pros - low rate of dulling, useful against tough woods and situations.
Cons - practically unsuitable for sharpening (or reshaping), somewhat rough finish.
But... some say they can be sharpened on a suitable (blue?) stone, but for a few bucks, theyre expendable. Also, in configurations such as the Ci1, low tendency to catch.

Alan Trout
12-24-2009, 8:28 AM
First I will state this is my opinion and that is it. I also do not know your particular skill level, however I personally do not have a real problem with them as some purist seem to, I think there is a place for them, but I will also say that I think it is best to learn to use conventional turning tools first, because there are things you can do with a skew, a bowl gouge, or a spingle gouge that can only be done with those tools. Also mastery of those tools will make your turning enjoyment much better.

With all that said I own a few. For my hollowing rig I use the Monster tool version of the Hunter tool and I also own an easy finisher scraper. I will also probably add to my collection with the small hunter tip for the swivel tip for the hollowing rig. The two that I have do certain things very well but they do not do everything well. I still find I reach for my conventional tools 99+% of the time but both of my carbide insert tools have helped out in a pinch.

Good Luck

Alan

Dave Rudy
12-24-2009, 8:50 AM
What do you turn?

Mike Minto
12-24-2009, 8:53 AM
Jeet Kun Do - Way Of No Way - Whatever Works Is What Works (oh, yeah - i like 'em and use round cutters on a shop-made bar).

Bernie Weishapl
12-24-2009, 10:49 AM
+1 and Ditto what Alan said. Learn to use your conventional tools first before you branch out into speciality tools. Just my opinion.

Reed Gray
12-24-2009, 11:25 AM
The Eliminator is my tool of choice for the insides of my boxes. Much better finish than I can get with a conventional scraper, even at a shear angle. Not really a roughing tool though. Also good for clean up on the bottoms of the boxes until my spindle gouge skills get perfected.

robo hippy

curtis rosche
12-24-2009, 12:31 PM
i use my homemade cobalt cutter tool for roughing everytime just because it is cheaper to sharpen and eventually replace than using a thompson gouge. i am getting a Ci1 tool for Christmas and plan on using it for all inside roughing of bowls because the tool i made is a bit grabby cause i selected a tool bit that was a little to wide for interior work.