PDA

View Full Version : Heat surge

Keith Christopher
12-24-2009, 5:53 AM
So I can't sleep and the only thing on TV that seems to amuse me is this infomercial on the 'amish made' heat surge. So I watching it and they have this 'amish workshop' in some of the shots, so I'm looking at what they're doing and I got a little chuckle. One of the 'amish' women is holding a jointer plane on a panel (face side) and with 1 hand just sliding it back and forth and around in circles pretending to work. I don't know why but I found that completely amusing.

Caspar Hauser
12-24-2009, 5:58 AM
She's ironing it flat, a technique long kept secret by the Amish, finally revealed to the world in this stunning new documentary, coming ad nauseum to a television near you...

keith ouellette
12-24-2009, 8:49 AM
I did a thread about that product last year. I found the whole idea of the Amish making an electric heater kinda funny but my thread had to do with the "all wood amish construction" they bragged about. There was obvious plywood in the heater.

But it must be made by the Amish because a commercial wouldn't lie.

mike holden
12-24-2009, 9:47 AM
Keith et al,
One thing to keep in mind about "Amish Made" anything - they are allowed to use power tools for making things for other than Amish people.
Had a group that did welding for Chrysler, rode their buggies to the shop and welded away with modern welders, grinders, etc. Per the elders, it was acceptable as long as nothing was made for their people.
So when I see "Amish Made" as an advertising slogan, I have to smile and think that PT Barnum was right.
Mike

Carlos Alden
12-24-2009, 10:09 AM
I also love that ad, especially how it's presented as a newspaper article. It belongs in The Weekly World News or The Enquirer, right next to Ed Anger's America. What's really fun is to find someone who believes that it's true.

Carlos

Michael Wetzel
12-24-2009, 11:47 AM
I have a neighbor who swears by his Amish heater. I think they are a joke since you can only get so much heat out of a kw of electric. They sure aren't breaking any laws of physics.

curtis rosche
12-24-2009, 12:39 PM
they arent even amish in the comercial or ad pictures, amish arent allowed to be videoed or pictured unless they have specific permission from the church, and i highly doubt that they would be allowed in this situation.