PDA

View Full Version : a couple more and a toy! (pic heavy)

Joshua Layne
12-24-2009, 4:04 AM
So, kinda pic heavy... but a couple more spatulas (that look a lot like the first...) a spoon... I swear I am never making another &$(#* spoon - took forever. It is for my grandfather and I hope he likes it, cause it'd be a shame to have to beat an old man with a spoon... (only kidding)
136170 136171

and... a sword for my (nearly) 4 year old son.
136172 136173 136174

oh, and what I was actually working on today - making a lot of big boards into a lot more smaller boards (rough milling is done for the beds)

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone!

John Keeton
12-24-2009, 7:15 AM
The King of Kitchen Utensils!! Great work, again! Just think of how good you now are at scooping wood out of spoons - great experience!

Nice work on the sword, did you saw the guard and glue it back in place?

BTW, you guys in CA posting pics with the sun shining and garage doors open while you work make me sick!!!:D;)

John Thompson
12-24-2009, 9:17 AM
Nice work Joshau as you seem to have been busy but.. you're about out of time before Xmas at this point. :)

Wally Alexander
12-24-2009, 1:24 PM
Nice job. Can I ask what you used to scoop out the spoon and where you got it. I've had one of these on the back burner for awhile now and the biggest holdup is how to scoop it out. I know someone makes a tool for this, but I really don't know where to look. Thanks....Wally

Joshua Layne
12-26-2009, 1:13 AM
Wally - The scoop-out was the biggest problem - I used a dremel with a rasp, then a round cutter head and then A LOT of hand sanding.... I need to get some carving gouges if I ever do this again - I probably put in 8 hours on that d@mn spoon. But it was all worth it - they were all very well received and no beatings were required :P

John, on the guard for the sword - it is a through-mortise with one side tapered to match the taper on the base of the blade - it is glued in place - the pommel has a stub-mortise and is also glues in place. If I have a problem with either one coming loose (I don't think I will - they were a pretty tight fit without glue) I will drill and peg them with brass rod or something.

Thanks for all the comments and (other John) - you are right about me being out of time... BUT - my family is used to late presents... which means I still have a couple of days :)

Thanks all and happy holidays,
Josh