PDA

View Full Version : Finish Problem

Dave Shaffer
10-11-2004, 10:46 AM
I am using Minwax Wipe On Poly over Watco Natural. The Watco has set for over a week so I know it is dry enough. The picture below is coat #6. I know the pic isnt all that great but it is the best I can get of the problem. If you look close you can see bumps in the finish. Every coat has had this.

The last coat was cured over night. This morning I leveled it with 220 grit sandpaper and followed up with 0000 steal wool. It was totally flat and clean before this coat was put on. I had to do that to get the bumps off the last coat.

I used a new clean t-shirt rag. I only made one pass with the poly. I just dont get it. It is not dust. I havent used a machine in two weeks in the shop and no fans are running. It looks more like bubbles, but I shouldnt be getting that with wipe on with one pass.

http://www.inetpublish.com/pics/IMAGE022.JPG

Thanks for the help.

Jim Becker
10-11-2004, 11:01 AM
Are you straining your finish before applying it? Is your wiping rag absolutly clean and lint free? Have you let any ambient dust in your shop settle out before finishing?

Dave Shaffer
10-11-2004, 11:06 AM
Are you straining your finish before applying it? Is your wiping rag absolutly clean and lint free? Have you let any ambient dust in your shop settle out before finishing?
Did not strain the finish. It was a fresh can. The rag was fresh out of the bag. I took it outside and shook it out good in case there was any loose fibers. Except for working on the finish, the shop has been idle for two weeks.

Bob Smalser
10-11-2004, 11:08 AM
You stirring that varnish before application? Or dumping the bottle upside down to put it on the rag?

If so....stop. Use quiet material poured in a clean, disposable plastic dish.

I much prefer a proper varnish brush and full-strength material for large surfaces like yours...a crosshatch pattern of strokes and tipping off lightly at the last eliminates surprises. Just make sure your material is of the right consistency to level up after brushing.

Donnie Raines
10-11-2004, 11:10 AM
It looks like an awefully thick coat. If to much finish is applied, air can be trapped in the fluid and cause this.

Are you wipeing on and rubbing in...or are you simply applying a full coat on and leaving as is?

Michael Stafford
10-11-2004, 1:05 PM
My eyes are not what they used to be so this could be off base. You said you used Danish oil first, by any chance did you have bleed back that you failed to wipe off? In the picture it is difficult to see the exact nature of the problem. Sorta looks like bleed back...

Dave Shaffer
10-11-2004, 1:28 PM
No, It wasent blead of the Watco. It had plenty dry time. It looks like Bob Smalser had it right. I was poring it onto the rag directly from the can. It was probably bubbles. I sanded it down again and put a very fine coat on from a cup that had sit for an hour. It looks a lot better.

Thanks guys

Ted Harris
10-11-2004, 1:35 PM
It looks more like bubbles, but I shouldnt be getting that with wipe on with one pass.
Thanks for the help.
Looks like air trapped in the finish to me...prolly means you are putting it on too thick!