PDA

View Full Version : Portable Planer Height

Rich Aldrich
12-23-2009, 9:50 PM
I am planning to start a new planer stand tomorrow -the planer is a Makita 2012NB - 12" wide. It is going to be a cabinet of drawers. I don't like the present height as the feed table is 21" off the floor. I think in the range of 30" would be easier on the back. Is there a reason to keep the planer low? I know some people mount them on work mates which seems to be a good height.

I appreciate the help.

Wayne Cannon
12-24-2009, 2:51 AM
Lower can be handy if you pass boards from output back to input across the top of the planer, stack pieces atop the planer, or if you reach over the planer instead of stepping around (e.g., for short pieces). The TOP of my planer is about 30" above the floor. If I do a LOT of planing, the lower height does cause my back to get tired.

Jeremy Brant
12-24-2009, 7:46 PM
I don't have access to my garage to take a picture right now, but I have the same planer. I built a plywood cabinet (with a raised panel door for practice). It's got 1 shelf in it, and I put four 2" locking casters under it. I can't remember offhand, but I believe the cabinet height was 30", plus the casters underneath. I work around the side of it and it seems to be a good height for my back. So far I've never needed to lock the casters, so you can probably save a few bucks if you decide to go that route and just get the regular swivel casters.

Ron Dorsch
12-24-2009, 8:49 PM
Check out the combination planer -router station on my page. I have the height high and it works out fine for me. I'm 6' so I do not mind the height. I do not need to bend over to send a board through. I have the same planer-my first and as far as I am concerned my last. I have lockable casters more for a safety concern than anything else. The station looks a little crude but functions great, besides it tays in the shop and not in the living room..
Good luck in your design