PDA

View Full Version : A Mainly Neanderthal Project

Daniel Kennedy
12-23-2009, 6:47 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=127919

I posted this in the woodworking projects section. I think it would interest many of the readers of the Neanderthal persuasion. If the mods think the project thread is a better fit here, I am happy to have the other moved here and this one deleted.

John Zahurak
12-23-2009, 9:42 PM
Beautiful table! I found it interesting to glue up the top in the rough state. I am curious as to the joinery for the base. Thanks for posting this down here. - John

Daniel Kennedy
12-23-2009, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the comments. I glued the top up in the rough state to get the top to finish up as thick as possible. I am sure there are other ways to do this.

For the joinery in the base it is all M&T. Drawbored with bubinga dowels. Everything is through except where not possible. I didn't go into much detail on that as it is covered so well in the article I got the idea from (Popular Woodworking). I went into more detail on the top because I haven't seen too many pictures and explanations of anyone flattening a 46" wide table top with hand tools. At any rate, Here are a couple pictures of the joinery of the base.

Jeff Wittrock
12-24-2009, 7:59 AM
That is a fine looking table!

Mark Stutz
12-24-2009, 9:05 AM
Beautiful job. Love the wide boards for the top!:cool: I think that is one of the advantages of being able to surface boards by hand. I've not done anything that wide. but can certainly appreciate it.

John, surfacing after edge joining is fairly common with hand tool guys. The "exact" finished dimension is not that critical. Even if later used for joinery, the measurements are simply taken from the two pieces.

Mark