PDA

View Full Version : Stink bugs....

Mike Cruz
12-23-2009, 6:11 PM
I just had the most UNBELIEVABLE experience. I don't know if the whole country is infested with these creatures as we are here on the East Coast (around the DC area), but they are a real problem.

I've been wonderering what it is about these critters that makes them, well, so hardy. I just found out:

I cooked some pasta up last night and there were some leftovers. This evening, I put a bowl of the left over pasta in the microwave. After running a FULL MINUTE, I opened the door to test the pasta. A STICK (EDIT: OOPS, should read STINK) BUG WAS CRAWLING AROUND ON THE DOOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just to be clear, no it wasn't in the pasta before I put it in the MW. Sometimes, we leave the MW door open to let it air out after heating up something that might have a strong odor. So, it must have entered then.

How, for the love of Ray-Jay, could this thing have lived through a MINUTE in the microwave?

Don't worry, I killed it to make sure it couldn't create any radiation resistant offspring. Then again, maybe I had made it sterile.

ARGH! Is this the price we are paying for Chinese toys and machinery? (In case you are unaware, stick (EDIT: OOPS, should read STINK...again) bugs came from China....)

Myk Rian
12-23-2009, 7:09 PM
We had carpenter ants living in the dishwasher one year. Never could figure out how they lived through all the washings.

tyler mckee
12-23-2009, 7:17 PM
i say you stick one in the microwave and set it for 20 minutes, then see how long it actually takes to kill it.

Bruce Page
12-23-2009, 7:47 PM
One of these guys?
yikes!

Mike Cruz
12-23-2009, 7:50 PM
STINK bug, my man, STINK! Not stick... hehe, that would have been a sight, though...

Bob Borzelleri
12-23-2009, 7:59 PM
Interesting post, I must say. We have been living in our home for 5 years. Up until this past summer, we had no stink bug sightings. Now they are as common as deer.

Not sure how they get in and out of places and I have not tried the microwave test, but I know one thing that routinely kills them. His sister ain't too shabby either.

Bruce Page
12-23-2009, 8:02 PM
STINK bug, my man, STINK! Not stick... hehe, that would have been a sight, though...

Your OP used both terms...I took a guess. ;) (Stick twice)

Jim Becker
12-23-2009, 9:38 PM
Ah, stink bugs...they love my shop building. And the house. But the house is sealed up better since we put on the addition and as a result, we get less of them as well as less of the "fake" lady bugs.

Mike Cruz
12-23-2009, 10:43 PM
Okay, to be fair, not only are you correct, so instead of editing my OP so that all three say STINK not STICK, I will make it obvious that it is an edit...so you don't look like the fool. Thanks for catching that...

Bruce Page
12-23-2009, 11:04 PM
Okay, to be fair, not only are you correct, so instead of editing my OP so that all three say STINK not STICK, I will make it obvious that it is an edit...so you don't look like the fool. Thanks for catching that...

You're not making fun of my hat are ya? :D

Mike Cruz
12-23-2009, 11:11 PM
Wouldn't dream of it...:rolleyes: Actually, I hadn't even thought of it, til you just mentioned it...:D

Keith Christopher
12-24-2009, 5:47 AM
OMG I was thinking it was something in my house that was making these things appear. I see the cats catching them from time to time and I've been wondering how the heck they keep getting in.